Gig Posters

Posters: 155690 | Bands: 135553 | Designers: 11510                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comments

Default constructing your own screen frames

anyone know of any online resources that walk you through this process?

Comments

er bump ///

Premium Member

Comments

i used to do this when i used wood frames.

on a table saw, rip a some wood like poplar or birch (not cheap pine 2x4s) to about 2 x 2 inches. using a dado set, you can make a double lap joint and glue the corners together. round the four corners a bit with a sander, and polyurethane the frame, except for the face which will receive the mesh.

i hope this helps
    most of the time we never fish!

Comments

i dont think its worth it.
    you should just buy them.
    they are fairly cheap when you look at it.

Comments

but its more fun to build them. thanks jay, seems much easier than i anticipated.

Comments

I use to make my own and after all that you start to wonder if your a screen printer of a screen maker. It alot easier to just buy them and just shoot, print & reclaim. I now use newman roller frames on most everything I print. They are a little pricey but well worth it.

-loco

Premium Member

Comments

i've made 3 frames this way that have lasted several years:

buy pressure treated 2x2's, cut to length at a 45 degree angle with a compound miter saw. when you buy them, make sure they are really straight. you may have to dig around in the pile for a while. glue together using a corner clamp (i only had one, so i would let it sit overnight to dry). countersink holes into the corner (one to each corner) and drill in a nice long screw (i usually went with a 2" one).

if you can do a nice joint like jay mentioned, you should, it'll add strength to the frame.

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by loco
    I use to make my own and after all that you start to wonder if your a screen printer of a screen maker. It alot easier to just buy them and just shoot, print & reclaim. I now use newman roller frames on most everything I print. They are a little pricey but well worth it.

-loco
    i just took a quick look at those newman roller frames...how much do they cost? are they easy to use?

Comments

I bought like 4, 18"x26" inside demension newman roller frames and I think they were about $40.00 or $50.00 each. You need to get the right clamps or the square clamps don't work. I use my t-shirt press that has side clamps. It takes some time to stretch your own. but once you get past that it's pretty easy.
    Being able to control your tension make the whole screen printing alot easier. ink lays better and registration is easier to line up.
    If you want to becaome a better printer newman roller frames are the way to go.

-loco

Premium Member

Comments

thanks for the info. relatively speaking, that's not that expensive. what kind of hinges do you need? i've got the speedball ones mounted to a homemade vacuum table. the ones i saw on their website had three round sides and one square...it looked like the square one would fit the hinges i have. anyways, where did you get them?