Gig Posters

Posters: 155198 | Bands: 135211 | Designers: 11481                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default albumcovers.org UPDATE

For those of you awaiting our new 'sister site', I just wanted to let you know that I am delaying the launch until a few issues are resolved with gigposters.com. I want to fix a few key bugs before having to deal with maintaining 2 sites.

1. Login / staying logged in problem. I know what is causing this.. I just have to fix it.

2. Better submission process that will not let any bad data slip through.

3. Fix the thumbnails.. the new ones look like crap.

In real life, my contract is up at the end of the month where I work, and I will be unemployed (again). I should have lots of time to work on the site until I find something else.

I expect the new site to launch in early Oct. I would like to remind everyone about the logo contest.. I am still accepting submissions from those interested in the contest.. so keep 'em coming.

http://www.gigposters.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1884

Comments

Cheers for the update, hang in there Clay!

Head Honcho

Comments

*bump*

Comments

Hey clay, Any idea what way you are going to format the jpgs? Is it going to be just front covers? theres a lot more to album (even cd) layout than there is to a poster. I'd personally like to see as much as possible, vinyl, labels etc. but it sounds like a huge nightmare to set up that many jpgs. Maybe you could have a link from the cover jpg that flips through to the back cover, therefore taking 2 jpg submissions for each cover. im just curious about your line of thinking on this.

Head Honcho

Comments

I think I'll stick to front covers only. Your right.. its too tough to get them all in there managed. I know, I know.. stupid rule.. but I think it will still be cool.

Comments

..or maybe you could could specify a two in one jpg ala..

Comments

Clay... if there is anything I might do to help in the coming months let me know. I have some pretty good experience with web (happy to show examples) work and hell, if I can help get the new site up a day earier... so much the better.

And I have to vote for the "two in one" image, the back cover of most vinyls was important imho.

Comments
    Items for Sale

front and back would be a bit of a bandwidth consideration, as well as probably limiting the physical dimensions of the file a bit more than it needs to be. generally, it'll include text too compressed and tiny to read anyway.

also, it might put off the non-photoshop sort of person who would normally rely on the one-touch scanner button method from submitting stuff. never pander to the masses, but never forget em either.

clay, have you considered that the average scanner can't scan a 12" in one pass? do you think this is gonna limit the amount of submissions from regular ol folks?

and incidentally, just curious, what's the legality of doin this project?

tom.

Head Honcho

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by standard
    front and back would be a bit of a bandwidth consideration, as well as probably limiting the physical dimensions of the file a bit more than it needs to be. generally, it'll include text too compressed and tiny to read anyway.

also, it might put off the non-photoshop sort of person who would normally rely on the one-touch scanner button method from submitting stuff. never pander to the masses, but never forget em either.

clay, have you considered that the average scanner can't scan a 12" in one pass? do you think this is gonna limit the amount of submissions from regular ol folks?

and incidentally, just curious, what's the legality of doin this project?

tom.
    I am hoping to target the designers of the album covers rather than the masses anyway.. (i'd rather have something you created than an NSYNC cover). If it is the designers submitting them, I don't think legality is really an issue here. I'm not selling the albums or art... merely providing a place where you can showcase your art.

This will not be limited to 12" records. An album is a recording of a set of songs .. so CDs, cassettes and records all count. (perhaps even 8-tracks!).

clay -

make it be a square image of only the front cover. anything square - 45, 10", lp, cd. and just the front.