Gig Posters

Posters: 156080 | Bands: 135806 | Designers: 11531                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comments

Default Reclaiming at the Car Wash

So, I went up to a car wash on the other side of town a while back and noticed a sign informing patrons that they were being watched by a security camera and that anyone caught dumping chemicals or paints or other harmful materials into the drain would be prosecuted and blah blah blah. So I still went ahead and sprayed down my screens and fired up a dollar and fifty cents worth of power spray. The one I go to now to reclaim has a camera but doesn't have any type of notice, let alone one with so many exclaimation points. Should I be concerned? Should I keep a watchful eye when I reclaim at a car wash? As much as I love the environment, I know that the plastisol isn't it's best friend.

Comments

Stop silkscreening all together.

It's the only thing you can do.

Comments

would it be cost effective for you to use water based inks? not only better for the environment but a whole heck of a lot better for your health as well

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by piemel
    would it be cost effective for you to use water based inks? not only better for the environment but a whole heck of a lot better for your health as well
    I imagine if they are going to bust you out on doing it, it will not matter to them whether the chemicals you're using are harmful or not...

I mean, unless you really got into some legal shit and you have to prove it somehow.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by b_turner
    I imagine if they are going to bust you out on doing it, it will not matter to them whether the chemicals you're using are harmful or not...

I mean, unless you really got into some legal shit and you have to prove it somehow.
    i am just saying that i actually am a stong proponent of the laws that state that you cant dump highly toxic materials in the environment.... i like waterbased inks because they are better for the environment (which is where I windsurf and all that)

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by b_turner

i am just saying that i actually am a stong proponent of the laws that state that you cant dump highly toxic materials in the environment.... i like waterbased inks because they are better for the environment (which is where I windsurf and all that)
    same here. I've always used water-based and non-toxic inks and chemicals... but I stopped doing the car wash thing once I started getting suspicious looks from the operators. Now my driveway has a nice multi-colored patina to it.

Comments

Yeah, I'm using water based inks, so I'm not worried about that. I'd like to get into some green-friendly photo-emulsion (any recommendations? I've only ever heard of Lancer Group stuff), but I have to go to the car wash now because I'm doing this in my apartment. I do as much as I can in my bathtub, but I have to go out to reclaim.

Premium Member

Comments

The big problem with some car washes is they are flushing their water into storm drains, which in most cases do not go through a regular urban sewage processing.

Before you go, you should have removed all the ink, using citrus based cleaners (Franmar etc.) At the most your screen should only have a stencil.

The stencil material could be removed at home in a tub with the run off going into your house drain, which goes through a treatment plant. the main thing with stencil material is catching the solids in a filter, and I doubt the average car wash has a very fine one. You can get 70-80% of a stencil off at home with hose pressure and a good stencil remover. It is technically non-toxic, although I wouldn't drink the shit. Probably not good in a septic, or in a trout-bearing stream, - light makes it go hard.

The final haze remover, if biodegradable, breaks down in water, lots of it. Degrease is also a nuetralizer.

I'll bet a run of the mill SUV puts more shit in the environment than cleaning some screens.

Everything is relative.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

Manoman, citrus cleaners are the greatest things in the world. You can use CitraSolv to do xerox transfers, which is something I want to experiment with in conjunction with screenprinting. You get a nice xerox, flip it over face down, and then take a cotton ball soaked with CitraSolv and rub it over the back of it. It also helps to take something hard and rub down the back if you want a better print. Once you think it's done, you peel it up and voila, you have a transfer. It can transfer halftoned xerox images pretty well, and if it gets saturated, it'll ghost and smear, which can have som really cool effects.

Back on the subject of watersheds and broken down emulsion, this wouldn't be such a big deal if I wasn't in a small apartment and had a garage or something. If I had a place to hook up a hose, things would be a lot easier. I bet I totally lose my deposit when my landlord notices the floor of my bathtub is a nice pale shade of green.

Comments

hey, what are some alternatives to emulsion remover?