Gig Posters

Posters: 152981 | Bands: 133629 | Designers: 11367                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comments

Default Andymac!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wanna know your opinions on squeegee sharpeners.

Belt sander type or Diamond Wheel type?

We are mostly UV ink shop.

Premium Member

Comments

i know nothing about squeegee sharpeners! but diamond wheel sounds much more bling bling!!!

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by sicknimich
    i know nothing about squeegee sharpeners! but diamond wheel sounds much more bling bling!!!
    bottom of the line for my size is $4000.00 new.

kinda pricey.

Premium Member

Comments

yeah we started looking into them at my old shop. but didn't get too far. 4000 grand is pricey! but its a small price to pay for a sharp squeegee!!! i love a sharp squeegee!

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by sicknimich
    yeah we started looking into them at my old shop. but didn't get too far. 4000 grand is pricey! but its a small price to pay for a sharp squeegee!!! i love a sharp squeegee!
    nothing beter than a sharp squeegee. we use a 36" comercial belt sander right now and I'm just not to happy with it. We have to sharpen our squeegees about every day or every two days.

I've heard a few good things abour the diamond wheel sharpeners, such as they are a lot cooler running and don't melt the squeegees as often as the belt sanders can.

Premium Member

Comments

To sand or grind, that is the question.

Belt sanders or variations like you have were industry standard until 5 or 10 years ago. We used them all the time in our larger shops, on squeegees up to 55" - you need a couple of belts of different grit to do a nice edge and a thick flat glass plate back and adjustable handleholder guide. Like any 'analog' machine, the operator is the difference between good or shitty.

There are two types of high speed 'grinders' :

One has a high speed grinder head that sands the blade

The other is a high speed cutting head that actually shaves the squeegee down.

Encore Engineering in Fla pioneered this, there are a number or companies that make these types now.

The cheaper (!) models of these (you might look into this, you can build these in kit form or from a router) has a stationary cutting or sanding wheel poking through a table top, and you run the squeegee along in a guide. this only works on smaller squeegees. This also requires some operator skill.

The second type the grinder or cutting wheel travels along the stationary squeegee blade, moving up a pube on each pass. This is definately the trick set up in shops, because it reduces operator error because of the automatic advance of the blade. It's pretty expensive new, and of course the bigger, the more cost.

I think you are right on the shaving vs sanding, it's better on the squeegee. I also think most printers still give their squeegees a little buff with 400 even after the cutting.

So is it worth it? Totally. You have to sharpen your squeegees to produce sharp prints and halftones.

If you are getting streaks and your customers are complaining, you can decide what it is worth in the scheme of things.... Me, I have two friends I can visit with 48" belt sander types (one cost $400 used, the other got his for $200 - Canadian$$$!!!! the fuckers), or I have metal handles and can flip the blades when they are really bad, and I built a little hand model I can hand sand a blade with up to about 24". I also keep 20 or so feet of 70 and 75 duro Ulon blade material for emergencies or when I have to whip a surly client.

Depending on how many prints you are running each day, by hand or on machine, and the blade hardness, you will quickly notice nicks that appear, some for no reason (the edge just crumbles) or some because you are printing over a tape edge or some dried in lugie in the stencil, or a protruding register tab that is also wearing a hole in your screen. Some squeegee material is better than others and lasts longer.

Certainly if you are running process colour, you should be sharpening before each run. You may get away with less sharpening, but even with my hand printing table I'll buff a squeegee every 500 - 1000 prints or sooner.

Many shops have dual sets of squeegees - squeegee rubber gets molecularly bent by solvents in the ink and thinners, and needs to rest in between jobs. If you run the same squeegee over and over and sharpen it all the time it will break down faster.

I would suggest if you are interested in stepping up, check the equipment boards at screenweb and sgia, or check with some of the bigger graphic shops in Portland or Seattle. If you are looking for something for squeegees up to 48" or less, there is a good chance someone bought bigger and needs a bigger sharpener and you could pick up a smaller one second hand. Unless they wrecked the machine, the only thing that wears is the cutting bit.

Hope this helps. Next to the screen, the squeegee is your next best friend in the screenshop. (Besides a case of beer and a fattie)
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Andymac

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Michael M. Motorcycle
    Andymac
    he has a sexy mind!!!

Comments

Thanks Andy. Your help is very much appreciated. I really can't wait to get away from the belt sander.

We have morning squeegees and afternoon squeegees, we probably sharpen them every 1000 impressions or less.

Just called my used equipment guy to see if he has any available.

i'm hung over. thanks for your help.

Premium Member

Comments

Most welcome. I don't know about these California guys and their throbbing hearts ops: ops: ops: ops:

Re the hangover, maybe this will help, I find if I take 2 aspirin, glug a glass of water, and repeat it 3 times before I go to sleep, I never get a hangover.....(well, hardly ever)

Look forward to meeting youse guys at FS5.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.