Gig Posters

Posters: 156080 | Bands: 135799 | Designers: 11529                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Comments

Default What kind of emulsion do I need? Vellum vs. Transparency?

I'm just getting into doing screenprinted posters, and I'm buying my supplies.

What kind of emulsion do I need? The place I'm buying from recommended DC 565. Is that the right stuff for me? What do you use? What do you like? And what kind of stripper solvent do you use to clean off that emulsion? I'm building a light box with a 500 watt light for exposures- does that factor into what kind I need?

2.) Vellum vs. Transparency? I'll be using an inkjet printer to print the different colors of my poster designs. Office Depot sells 50 transparencies for about $30. Does anyone use transparencies? Where can I buy Vellum if that's what you recommend?

Thanks to everyone who offers some advice.

Beau

Premium Member

Comments

Go with the vellum. You need a very opaque print out. Transparencies sometimes don't cut it.
    "no one best touch my Benz or capriz, lest they want a foo in dey azz" -Merf
    "pancakes sound dope." -Peveto

"Jesus pancakes sound dope." -Peveto 2010
    "i'm dropping like mad, yo." -Jay Ryan
    "Any halftizzles up in yo shizzle? You've got moizizzle." -RichieGoodtimes
    "bdix - 5 stars" -Poguemahone
    "hail the mighty bacon." -Farley
    "them's some sweet socks" -Fruitstripe Peveto
    "not with you the force is" - Ferg

posters
    twitter
    twitter KLCTVEfusion
    facebook
    d
    ribble

Comments

We use Chromaline UDC-HV emulsion. It's purple and works great.

http://www.chromaline.com/emulsions.html#udchv

I print on inkjet transparencies. Find a printer that can print at 1440dpi or higher. Set the print options so that the printer knows you're using a transparency. This way, you get a *very* black print.

It's worked out just fine for us; andwe print using a ghetto set-up in my living room.

For exposure, I have a 500w HPS bulb,which I suspend about 2.5 feet from the screen. I lay the transparency on the screen, and put a heavy piece of glass on top. Works like a charm.

Comments

We've always had good results with Ulano emulsion. We also used transparencies AND vellum. I get large vellums from a local blueprint place for cheap (a 18" x 24" vellum print is about $5). We stitch together transparencies for the smaller stuff. Also get yourself some rubylith and hand cut the large sections of color. Saves you tons on ink if you're printing your own transparencies.

Premium Member

Comments

ulano QTX emulsion, and the ulano emulsion remover. works great for me...short exposure time, rinses out nice, lasts a long time.

i also use the office depot transparancies with an inkjet printer. works fine for the stuff i do. tape the pages together for the larger ones.