Gig Posters

Posters: 156357 | Bands: 135975 | Designers: 11549                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Default t-shirts to posters

Hey I want to start doing screened posters but I've only ever done t-shirts. What I'm thinking of doing is making prints at the same time as I do a run of t-shirts. But having done very little paper screenprinting using only water-based inks I'm a little green. Do you experts think it's OK to do prints using plastisol on a sturdy thick paper (i.e. one that will not curl or yellow under a heat lamp)? Or should I switch inks after the shirt run is done? Is it safe to use 2 different kinds of inks in a screen? (Im using 156 mesh for the most part).
    I also want to start screenprinting vinyl stickers and I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice as to what types of ink I should use. Of course I'll be talking to my screenprinting supplier about it too but it would be nice to know some pitfalls to avoid etc. Thanks in advance for any help on this....

Premium Member

Comments

clean the screen real good, switch inks and go like hell cuz waterbased inks dry fast.
    as far as stickers do what all the smart people do and use andy/dieselfuel
    cuz printin stickers sucks ass and andy kicks ass

Comments

i'm gonna bet you'll need completely diffeerent seps forr posters than you would use for shirts. Like for a shirt I don't trap, butt registration but for posters I trap like a motherfucker.

Don't bother with trying to print plastisol on paper if you want a decent product. It can come off pretty easily as it doesn't truly bond with the paper like it does with a shirt when it's cured.

Yeah that's what i figured. I'm going to do some experiments with plastisol, if it doesn't work I'll go the clean out/ go like hell w/ the waterbased inks route.
    I've heard that stickers can be a nightmare- you need drying agents and shit. Maybe it's not worth the headache- I'll PM andydiesel and see what's up. Thanks for the tip.

Premium Member

Comments

good idea
    andy=sticker king

Comments

The trick to doing stickers is using the right ink on a cheap vinyl (cheaper = thicker). Nazdar 3500 series worked fine for me.
    http://www.nazdar.com/NazStore2/tech...ta%20Sheet.pdf

Edited to add that cutting them is the suckiest part.