Gig Posters

Posters: 156383 | Bands: 135985 | Designers: 11550                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Comments

Default presensitized film

the good? the bad?

Premium Member

Comments

As in Capillex or indirect? 2 different animals, born of the same mother.

1. Capillex (this is a brand, the correct name is direct/indirect or something stupid)
    this film comes in different thicknesses, you stick it on a wet screen, it bonds with capillary action (better bond than #2 indirect see below) to the screen. When it dries (in the dark) you peel the backing and expose like a direct stencil.

Advantages - choose your thickness of stencil (for thick ink deposit apps) or where stencil thickness must be controlled (electronic circuits, UV, specialty printing)
    gives an excellent edge to your printing (sharp fine detail)

Disadvantages - expensive, doesn't always work perfectly (probably operator error!) not water resistant

2. Indirect (5star, novastar, ulano hifigreen, there are a bunch)
    This film is cut from a roll, exposed with a posi, then dipped in a mild peroxide bath, then washed out with warm water. You then stick it on the bottom of a screen, let it dry, and peel the backing.

Advantages - good edge detail, you can turn over a new screen and stencil in about 20 minutes. You can clean screens with this a bit easier, you don't need stencil remover, mainly because it flakes off so easy!

Disadvantages - look sideways at it and it will crack off the bottom of the screen, usually in the middle of a run or when you are peeling the backing - only good for solvent based, on higher mesh counts. Not good on shirts or fabrics on long runs.
    It's hard to clean and reuse an undirect stencil because it is so delicate, in fact you will have trouble cleaning it at all.

Both are way more expensive per square foot than direct emulsion, and both don't have the toughness and cleanability of direct. I used indirect film for years, because that's what they used in the shops I worked and learned in. When I went to direct I never looked back. If you want a super sharp print, bottom coat your screens wet on dry to build the stencil up a bit, and buy a decent emulsion (dual cure or SBQ)
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

about once a year a ulano sales or tech guy comes by my shop and tries to sell me on that shit. I love direct emulsion.

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by andydiesel
    about once a year a ulano sales or tech guy comes by my shop and tries to sell me on that shit. I love direct emulsion.
    oh damn, i forgot to send you out that sample of the stuff I use, Andy. I'll send it out 1st of next week. for real.

Premium Member

Comments

I think it's old stock from 1987.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

we use indirect film at my work. fantastic detail, great turnaround time. our screen room turns around about 50 colors a day, doing runs on anywhere between 50-100 impressions.

it can't hurt to try, when i used to screenprint I used direct emulsion and would never want it any other way, however -- i think film definitely has it's perks. get a sample, try it out.

Premium Member

Comments

i used that stuff once and hated it