Gig Posters

Posters: 154224 | Bands: 134485 | Designers: 11430                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CMYK Mixing

Comments

Default CMYK Mixing

So I couldn't find an efficient thread for what I am asking here... if i'm wrong just redirect me...

So I have all process colors (speedball ink) and I'm trying to color match what i have on Photoshop. The way I figured I do this is: check the CMYK percentages in Photoshop and then mix accordingly.

So one of the colors calls for 34% Magenta, and 16% Yellow. So... what i did was put 2 parts Magenta and a little less than one part Yellow. Its supposed to be a pinkish color...

The other color is 28%Cyan 100%Magenta 100%Yellow %35Black. It supposed to be a Burgandy type of color...

Is that right, am I doing this all wrong?

Thanks!

Comments

that sort of works, but since your doing spot colors what you should do is a get a spot pantone guide and try to follow that best you can.

or hell..just mix to taste.

Comments

if at first you do not succeed try and try again, trial and error just don't throw anything away, you can re-use it on something else

Comments

Default doh

so I just added white and its nearly perfect...

does CMYK work off of a white base... like 100% white and then whatever % given...

sounds about right...

Default Re: doh

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Keezer
    so I just added white and its nearly perfect...

does CMYK work off of a white base... like 100% white and then whatever % given...

sounds about right...
    As far as I know, yes.
    I'm experimenting with the same kind of thing.

Comments

so i just tried to make the burgandy color and got a sweet gray.... any suggestions on how to make dark red from the process colors?

red black and blue would do it. Heavy on the red. Just touches of blue and black until you get what you want. Too much black will turn the whole thing brown

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Michael M. Motorcycle
    red black and blue would do it. Heavy on the red. Just touches of blue and black until you get what you want. Too much black will turn the whole thing brown
    I was just about to say the same thing. Like MMM said careful with the black.

I find it easier to mix a puddle of ink on a card to see what I get so I don't toast a quart of ink. after I get what I like on the card I'll then mix a larger amount in the quart container.

Comments

you can also mix two compliments, like orange and blue...and get a deeo grey and use that instead of the black to darken.

Premium Member

Comments

You add white to process colours and you will end up with pastel shades.

You will figure out these process colours won't cover worth shit, and their intensity or shade is entirely dependant on screen mesh, number of passes, etc - you can't really tell a process colour until you print and dry it.

I'm with Mr. Frank, get a pantone book and cross reference the colour, and use your opaque base colours to try and hit what you want.
    Use the process colours for enhanced colour mixing.

One of the problems with trying to mix to a 'CYMK' colour by using the 4 inks is they are actually talking about a laydown of 100% magenta flood, 100% yellow flood, 28% and 35% screen of the other colours, not percentages in a mix. One on top of each other. If you mix them together in a bucket, you get mud.

Remember too, CYMK or any process/multicolour halftone duotone shit is only a pale approximation of a full on colour.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth. So are all you clowns going to be at Flatstock in Seattle? Do they have beer?
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.