Gig Posters

Posters: 155198 | Bands: 135238 | Designers: 11484                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comments

Default problem with... "pooling" of ink?

I'm having this problem both when I print colours on top of one another and when I print colours on their own, but it's more noticeable when they're on top of one another. I find that the paper attaches ever-so-slightly to the screen, so I have to pull it off. The WHOLE SHEET doesn't attach, though, so when it's pulled off, I get this like uneven ink coverage which I'd sort of describe as "pooling"... it looks like water pooling in an uneven road SORT OF. It has happened a lot MORE when using paper that buckles a bit under a lot of ink... so the surface IS actually uneven. My solution for that is to not use 10pt chipboard for things that involve large areas of colour.

Sometimes I sort of like the effect, but it's an annoying thing to happen most the time. It's far less obvious when the prints are dry than when wet, but still! This happens BOTH with latex paint and regular water-based ink (union ink) for me.

Is there something I could be doing to make sure that the paper never sticks to the screen? Is that the problem? 'Cause it kind of seems like it is. It sort of seems like a vacuum table setup could do something to help, but that's not really an option for me right now.

Is this an "off-contact" problem? Right now, there is little or no space between the mesh and the paper when the screens are laid flat: I'm using jiffy clamps and this like smooth white faced particle board (a "platen" you could call it maybe?) to put the prints at what seems like the right level. Can this be solved by raising the screen slightly somehow for printing? I guess I could just TRY that...

Comments

if yopu dont have a vacuum table...

1. more spray tack
    2. slightly larger offset distantance
    3harder squeegee

Comments

That shit has plagued my printing from day 1.

Its a good reason to make a vaccum table.

Premium Member

Comments

if there is no hope for a vacuum table.....

a hard squeegee definitely,
    a good, even, consistant pull across the screen,
    when you pull the print off the bottom, make it one swift 'peel'

also little heavier paper may help.

good luck.

Comments

repostitional spray mount works good, slide some chip board under the frame of the screen so there is some space between the paper and the mesh

Comments

Yeah, sans vaccum you can also try pulling the squeegee faster. That always helps me with off-contact issues.

Comments

or you can buy a shop vac, a piece of plexiglass and a drill and make a vacuum table.

Premium Member

Comments

I have this problem when I use anything less than 100 lb paper stock. Also, when I have larger amounts of ink coverage near the bottom of a design, rather than the top, it will stick pretty much every time... I'm guessing this is also because I pull somewhat faster from the top, and slower when my stroke gets down to the bottom
    we are cricket press
    -->

Premium Member

Comments

vacuum best
    spay tack works

Comments

Thanks! Building a vacuum table seems like a reasonable thing, so I'll keep that in mind. For now I will try more space between mesh and paper, and be more prudent with my squeegee.