Gig Posters

Posters: 154911 | Bands: 135044 | Designers: 11471                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Comments

Default Light box question!

Okay, I've been looking at the discussions about DIY exposure units and have it in mind to build a box tomorrow and need some tips before I run out to Lowe's and drop a chunk of change. I have been looking at the plans of the unit based off of the one used in Charlie Mars' shop, but I doubt I can keep something that big in the space I'm using right now. I plan on doing this in my apartment for the time being which is a bit spacious, but a gigantic light table is going to cramp things quite a bit. I know it would be ideal to use 48" fixtures because of the availability of 40w and 60w bulbs, but I was wondering if I could get away with using 36" fixtures. Does anyone use these? So far I've only seen 30w bulbs at that size and wondered how much longer the exposure time would be compared to 40w bulbs.

Any advice or attempts to convince me to build a bigass 5' x 4' table would be appreciated. Thanks! I'll probably have some posters up under my account before too long.

Comments

look up exposure unit on the forums...tons of shit.

Comments

I finally did a test exposure of the box that we built (indeed with 36" fixtures) about two weeks ago and am figuring the exposure time to be around 3.5 minutes. If I get my hands on a digital camera, I'll throw some pictures up here.

Comments

i am using 12 48" blacklight flourescents and my burn times are about 45 seconds to 90 seconds.

Comments

Yeah, I figured if I get too impatient, I'll see if I can find some UV bulbs, but for now, this is fine. I need to get a test sheet printed off on vellum and see what length of exposure that method warrants.

Comments

Oh, here is a link to the posters I've submitted: http://www.gigposters.com/designers.php?designer=32035

None of those have been screen printed—I just designed them with that in mind. More on the way...

Comments

those should look real nice printed.

All of my bulbs are the F40T12BL....make sure you do not buy the F40T12BLB

the bulbs I bought were about 8 bucks each...not too bad...check your local light bulb shop...in Albuquerque that is the actual name of the shop...The Lightbulb Shop...genius.

Comments

I almost printed the MBD posters a few months ago. I was using my alma mater's setup, with a UV bulb that was about the size of my head that had to be hooked up to its own transformer or something to work. I did a test exposure, determined the time, and then somehow I broke the damn thing. I don't know if they ever fixed it. So, no fancy prints. Ugh.