Gig Posters

Posters: 156375 | Bands: 135981 | Designers: 11549                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Thread: noob

Comments

Default noob

when youre applying the emulsion to a screen, should it be done in the dark....or will a bug light be ok?

Comments

You don't have night vision goggles?

Comments

i only use those for peeping through windows in the middle of the night.....its a strict rule i follow.

Premium Member

Comments

a piece of ruby over a nomal light is best, but most brands are not sensative enough to be exsposed in the short time needed to coat a screen

Comments

how long does it usually take for the emulsion to dry?

Where people drive like complete assholes.
    Comments

72 hours. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

no seriously...I have no idea.

Comments

As I'm sure you can probably deduce, "a variety of factors" affect emulsion drying time, (humidity surely being one, also temperature, also airflow) but usually it's pretty obvious when the emulsion I use is dry: it's matte and smooth. What I do is set a fan blowing on the wet screens and go do something else for about an hour. This is something a real pro wouldn't do, I think, because the fan will blow dust into the emulsion. Someday I want to build a drying cabinet that blows warm filtered air around screens! For this, I need to take the cabinetmaking course at my local trades college. (Plans on screenprinters.net, maybe.)

Premium Member

Comments

Re the emulsion drytime question.

Recently Michael Motorcycle had a problem with screens falling apart during a run. My experience with waterbase is that if you do not dry the screens below 50% relative humidity for 3 hours, you do not acheive a total cure of the diazo/emulsion chemistry. They are dry to the touch long before the 3 hours if it is warm, but you run some risk if you just go on feel.
    It doesn't matter as much if you are using solvent based inks or plastisols, the stencil has a built in resistance to the inks because the emulsion is essentially waterbased (oil and water don't mix) but if you run into problems with stencils going soft or pinholing with waterbase, it is probably the drying/humidity thing.
    I use an old hairdryer I throw in the drying box and a $10 humidity/temp guage from the hardware store. Pro shops use a dehumidifier.

Hey, the fuc@$^@^ing election is over. We lost. Spent the day pulling down signs. Never again. Time to rebuild squeegeeville....bigger and better and faster and smarter.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

andy pretty much covered it. i dry my screens with a fan (after coating with ulano QTX), then usually let them sit overnight (under a blanket) before i expose them. there have been a few times where i needed the screen right away, so i dried it for about 2 hours next to a fan, then exposed. it seemed to work fine.