Gig Posters

Posters: 154911 | Bands: 135044 | Designers: 11471                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Default Oil based or water based emulsion?

Okay, I'm trying to get shit off the ground with the screenprinting action and for anyone who can answer this, that would be great. Okay, the emulsion I am thinking of using is water based, and typically I would use xylene to clean the screens with. I can get 55 gallon barrels of it for about 120 dollars. However I'm worried about storing this highly flammable material in a garage. So my next option would be using oil based emulsion with water based ink. However I hear the oil based emulsion is a bitch to reclaim. Also you need something oil based to clean the screen, or is that a misconception on my part? Any insight on products to try, or any information about any of this would be greatly appreciated.

Premium Member

Comments

uhhh...if you're using waterbased emulsions, you would only need to clean the screens with water and emulsion remover. i would avoid dealing with 55 gallons of any kind of solvent, especially if you plan on keeping it in your garage. i guess it depends on what kind of ink you're using, if you use waterbased inks, it washes out with water. the other kind would need a solvent of some sort, but it might be a better idea to use the manufacturers suggested remover, and buy in small quantities. most solvents i've dealt with at work evaporate quickly, so with a 55 gallon drum, it would soon be throughout your garage and house.

ulano QTX waterbased emulsion works great. for ink, i use speedball inks and housepaint. it all washes out easily with water and emulsion remover.

Premium Member

Comments

i would get yourself a nice gallon of dual-cure emulsion. that way you can print waterbased ink and plastisol and maybe even solvent. and you just remove it with a emulsion remover. really easy and probably the best route to take.

Quote Originally Posted by sicknimich
    i would get yourself a nice gallon of dual-cure emulsion. that way you can print waterbased ink and plastisol and maybe even solvent. and you just remove it with a emulsion remover. really easy and probably the best route to take.
    Interesting. I was worried that a water based ink, with water based emulsion would cause emulsion wash out during the cleaning process(in case I had to use the screen again before reclaim). This dual cure emulsion sounds wonderful. Is it around the same price or will it cost more? Also is there a compatible blockout fluid?