Gig Posters

Posters: 155198 | Bands: 135211 | Designers: 11481                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default anyone printed on mylar ???

does anyone here print on mylar regularly, or have any experience doing so?

after hours of trial and error getting my off contact perfectly level so the goddamn ink wont bleed all over the slick substrate, i realized that my ink, after dry, would just scratch right off of the mylar with no effort.

what the hell kind of ink should i use?
    i would prefer water based, but i need to get this done and will use nasty ass fuckin vinyl ink or solvent based if i need to.
    please help me.

how about using varnish?

Premium Member

Comments

What about printing on vellum? I've done that with success. it takes the ink better. not as transparent though...

Comments

Default try this

if you can get your hands on some .007 gauge lexan, it works real well and very transparent. we use it it print atm braille instructions on. we use nazdar 8800 but you could try with a good waterbased. hope this helps

mylar is valued because of it ability not to stick to things, especially inks and paint.

Default bump

ok, there has to be a way to print on mylar...i worked at a goddamn movie theater for 2 years, and we used almost exclusively mylar based promo items, all of which had printing on them....

if it were me i would switch to a poly, but i am printing already purchased mylar sleeves for a friend's record, so i really need to figure this out...

someone must know??

Comments

reverse your film and print on the backside of the mylar. when you flip it over it reads right and is protected. although this is the digital image this was printed on clear mylar on the back side:

http://www.gigposters.com/posters.php?poster=21752

Comments

just like a backlight. nice - i like that.

Comments

this is a terrible image of my poster, but i printed on both sides of frosted mylar for this one. red and white printed backwards on the back. brown on the front.
    i use speedball acrylic, and it hasn't scratched off much, that i've noticed.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbait
    reverse your film and print on the backside of the mylar. when you flip it over it reads right and is protected. although this is the digital image this was printed on clear mylar on the back side:

http://www.gigposters.com/posters.php?poster=21752

and then the whole run stuck together ...it was awesome.