Gig Posters

Posters: 156357 | Bands: 135975 | Designers: 11549                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is this press worth my money?

This is a t-shirt press from Odyssey.
    It will cost me $1500.

I'm located in damn Singapore, getting a t-shirt press from abroad is my only option.

I can't get those available on ebay because most sellers wouldn't want to ship overseas, plus they seem so huge and it will be illegal to have them at home.

Any opinions or any other recommendations?
    Don't know why I'm even asking, maybe I just want to feel assured.

http://www.odysseyspe.com/frrota.htm

Premium Member

Comments

Dude, you could try some clamps and a board, kinda setup. Its primitive but it works, although if you wanna go 4 colour or even 2 youll need to set up some kinda awivell setup. I printed loads of shirts by packing the shirt with paper, and placing the screen where i wanted to print. Did paying jobs like this... scary if I fucked up in the amount of ink pushed through, but I was lucky it didnt happen much. I also got good fast at placing back down inline... not a skill one wants to learn.
    www.mrfrumpy.com

"An artwork is normally assessed in quality by the amount of stimulation it brings about. The impact it has on people, the number of people that can relate to it, the degree of their appreciation, and the effect or influence it has or has had in the past, all accumulate to the 'degree of art.' Most artworks that are widely considered to be "masterpieces" possess these attributes." - Frank Kozik

Premium Member

Comments

You can find a better price than that. I don't know if you are just starting out or what, but if you are, you don't need to spend that much.
    AWT in chicago has tabletop presses for a LOT less. I'll try to find their web address in awhile, but I know they have one color presses for about $150.
    "I guarantee, the image will not be fade off and you will be pleasure it too. " - a bootlegger
    We need to print a tshirt "Avoid sucker effect!"-Fabio
    "fudge isn't sharp"-phoondaddy

i'm starting out and i don't think i will quit.
    i thought it's better to get a good one right away and save the trouble of upgrading.

this one has micro-registration, do i really need it?

Premium Member

Comments

I never had much use for micro-registration back when I was doing shirts.
    I would warn you that doing t-shirt jobs for other people is a magnificent pain in the ass, especially when you are starting out. But if you are printing your own designs to sell to stores you might be okay.
    I quit doing shirts 10 years ago because each mistake you make costs $3-4(or whatever you pay for shirts). Customers are VERY picky about shirts. Also, to do a professional job, you will need to use plastisol inks (cancer) and have a conveyer dryer ($2000 minimum) and a lot of extra little things. People will not pay you for anything less.
    Not trying to talk you ut of it. These are things I wish someone had told me before I started.
    "I guarantee, the image will not be fade off and you will be pleasure it too. " - a bootlegger

Micro Registration certainly will make your life easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael M. Motorcycle
    Micro Registration certainly will make your life easier.
    i agree. miro registration is nice. i have two press (one textile and one paper) and it's so cool

Premium Member

Comments

I'll concede the micro-reg. issue.
    Am I off-base on the other stuff? Perhaps standards have lowered over the years, but I still have nightmares of suffering the wrath of Ken Vandermark's disappointment...

Premium Member

Comments

I'll concede the micro-reg. issue.
    Am I off-base on the other stuff? Perhaps standards have lowered over the years, but I still have nightmares of suffering the wrath of Ken Vandermark's disappointment...

steve,

you are right on the other stuff, i've given thought on these issues and done some calculations.

i'm not printing for clients, i'm printing for myself.
    shirts are relatively cheap here so mistakes are not so costly.
    i think i'll be okay.

i'll get a 4 color press with micro-registration.
    is the odessey press i'm getting too expensive?
    can i get a similar one (used press is fine with me) at a lower price?