Gig Posters

Posters: 155198 | Bands: 135211 | Designers: 11481                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: some paper Q's

Comments

Default some paper Q's

so....
    can anybody tell me where i can buy 18x24 90lb paper, anywhere,
    but hopefully on the internet...
    If i use floetrol in the house paint, do i even have to use 90lb paper?

Im trying to get 6 colors out of 4, so, will floetrol make it so i can overlap to make other colors?

Comments

xpedex or alot of folks on here dig Frenchs paper

Comments

any idea where i can get it?

Comments

Look in the phone book under paper. Xpedex and Spicers have a lot to choose from. Spisers I know carries Franches paper.

Comments

http://www.mrfrench.com

french paper kicks ass.

fuck you xpedex.

Comments

i think (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) that printing with house paint will not give you overlapping colors. House paint is too opaque.

At least that has been my experience.

I use house paint on 100lb French paper using 156 mesh. Two heaping spoonfuls of floetrol per quart. This method (of using house paint) is only good for big block printing and not halftones, you loose detail pretty quickly. Although, you could wash out every 30 prints.

Comments

You can definitely get transparencies with housepaint, they're just not the same as with regular inks. (as in, not entirely transparent, but definitely workable. They kind of have a slightly muddy quality.)
    You can add more floetrol, or add transparent extender base...
    you also have to just be careful what colours you are trying to make transparent. A lot of housepaint colours have too much white in the mix to functionally make them transparent. When you're looking at the colours, ask to see the mixing guide.. if there's little to no white, then it'll be a lot easier.. In some cases (reds, yellows) when there's supposed to be white, I've asked for the person mixing the paint to just omit the white. They usually think it's wierd, but they'll do it.

ALSO:
    We print ONLY with housepaint, and we use screens that vary from 156 to 300, and they all work fine. Again, paints with more white in them sometimes are a little more picky in higher mesh screens, because they tend to dry faster, but a little more floetrol will totally remove that problem. Halftones, and detail are not a problem if you're adding enough floetrol, and you can clean the screen on-press with a spray gun of water, if any small blockages occur.

If you use floetrol in the housepaint (and you should) then you definitely need a heavy stock (we use between 65-80lb) because it makes the paint a little 'wetter'. If you use screenprinting extender base, then it will not thin, or water the paint down as much, just increase the open time, and add transparency and you can use slightly lighter paper. Overall though, housepaint's a lot wetter than ink, so heavier paper is better.

Generally, we use about 10% floetrol in the paint,
    and in white-based colours, sometimes up to 20%.
    And you can definitely do long runs, even with detail that way, without losing anything. I just did a run of 250 with housepaint, lots of detail, no problems.

examples of some transparencies with housepaint:
    http://gigposters.com/posters.php?poster=29442 (purple under yellow)
    http://gigposters.com/posters.php?poster=20642 (pink under green)

I should mention that while transparencies with housepaint are possible, and can be awesome, it's a whole different beast than transaparencies with transparent inks. Colour mixing becomes just guesswork. If you're tying to make a good green with yellow and blue, I wouldn't use housepaint.

And if you've never used housepaint before... have patience. It's not for beginners. Seripop has said it, and so have we. For real. It's harder.

You're probably not going to be checking for 18 x 24 paper. I buy mine 24 x 36 and have them cut in half to make 18 x 24. I just started using Springhill 150 lb. tag from XPEDEX. I am very happy with it.

Premium Member

Comments

I use a couple of papers.
    French paper. the king.
    Wausau paper. couple different varieties. I get em from a local paper distributor, a real mom and pop joint, way nice. fuck you xpedx.
    Exact Tag- good 100lb. white, 18X24
    Royal Complements- New stuff. great colors, 100lb, I buy it at 26X40 and have it split to 20X26. sweet. Oh, and the black is darker than french's black.

What I am looking for is some nice chipboard stock. My paper guy has it, but it looks crappy. too grey.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Keezer
    i think (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) that printing with house paint will not give you overlapping colors. House paint is too opaque.

At least that has been my experience.

I use house paint on 100lb French paper using 156 mesh. Two heaping spoonfuls of floetrol per quart. This method (of using house paint) is only good for big block printing and not halftones, you loose detail pretty quickly. Although, you could wash out every 30 prints.

not true at all
    we one ONLY house paint and almost all of our posters have overlays and small details
    we use nazdar water based retarder with it and get the paint shop to give us the straight process colors then a good red and a good brown

to add tranperenc we use straight up neutural paint base with no tint