Gig Posters

Posters: 155198 | Bands: 135238 | Designers: 11484                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Comments

Default pantone proper colour matching at a paint shop

anyone have any clue how to get proper pantone colours at a paint shop?

Premium Member

Comments

paint shops don't use pantone charts. i have had paint companies try and match stuff off a pantone but the will tell you they can get it close but not perfect. pantones are for inks only. well thats what they told me. they have their own system. so you could compare the two and try to get it close.

Comments

Default Re: pantone proper colour matching at a paint shop

Yeah, it's not going to happen with numbers.

Every brand of paint has a different base with it's own inherent color and haziness. If you pick up a Ralph Lauren red and try to match it to a Behr red, you'll never get the same color. On the other hand, it should be really easy to walk into the store with your pantone chips and find a matching paint sample chip or use a digital matching system like they have at Home Depot.

Comments

some pro paint shops have digital matching systems when you give them the color, (pantone chip , candy, your arm) they scan it and the system gives em a match
    it's not EXACT but fuck it's SOOO CLOSE no one can tell the difrence

Premium Member

Comments

the other problem with matching with paint is that most of those paints are meant to be painted over a basecoat. some require medium or dark basecoats to get the true colors advertised on the paint chips. so when you get, say Disney paint, code red, and print it on white paper, it is really transparent and pinkish. So be prepared to do some R&D when selecting your paints, and keep in mind that the colors on the chips end up a little lighter when printed on white paper in thin quantities.
    Finnaren and Haley makes a great opaque red, I believe its called the masterpiece series.
    a great black to use is behr, the name of the color is beluga. its pretty nice, cooler but not chalky.

I tried to get colors with that digital matching thing, but it sucked. use your eyes. they are way way better. and learn color theory. that helps, if you want to be all smarty-pants about it.

Comments

nick- just go to decorateurs and they will hook ya up

Premium Member

Comments

I found a really really awesome metallic paint at home depot, made by behr. they have gold, silver, and copper. it covers GREAT, and has a high metallic content so its shiny shiny shiny. costs about 17.00 for a quart, but the results have been worth it so far. yes sir.

Premium Member

Comments

Try to find a paint shop that uses Dupont paint.
    "no one best touch my Benz or capriz, lest they want a foo in dey azz" -Merf
    "pancakes sound dope." -Peveto

"Jesus pancakes sound dope." -Peveto 2010
    "i'm dropping like mad, yo." -Jay Ryan
    "Any halftizzles up in yo shizzle? You've got moizizzle." -RichieGoodtimes
    "bdix - 5 stars" -Poguemahone
    "hail the mighty bacon." -Farley
    "them's some sweet socks" -Fruitstripe Peveto
    "not with you the force is" - Ferg

posters
    twitter
    twitter KLCTVEfusion
    facebook
    d
    ribble

you can also get a pantone process chart which tells you the CMYK mixture for the process color or convert PMS colors to process in photoshop and write down the values. then buy Cyan Magenta Yellow and Black paint and hand mix it based on the percentages. it won't be perfect but it will be a good ballpark (just remember it'll dry darker). if you need perfect spot color matches do like seripop said but if you just need a ballpark hand mix. most people aren't sensitive enough to colors to tell a 5% increase in magenta anyways.

oh yeah don't trust the dork at the paint mix counter to know anything about color. they really can't do anything out side of their book formulas even if its painfully obvious to anyone who's even picked up a paint brush. you're so much better off mixing your own shit than you are trying to get a very specific tint out of mr. summer job at the hardware store.