Gig Posters

Posters: 155198 | Bands: 135238 | Designers: 11484                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: AC Logo Contest

Head Honcho

Comments

I am creating a gigposters.com "sister-site" (http://www.albumcovers.org), and am in need of a logo. The logo must be the same size as the current logo:

354 x 110 pixels

It does not have to be the same style or colors or anything. It must say one of the following:

Album Covers OR Album Covers.org OR albumcovers.org ... etc.

It can have a picture on it, text .. whatever. Rectangle, oval .. whatever..

Please feel free to post your image in this thread. The winner will be chosen by me, based on what I like. It doesn't matter who you are etc.

**All rights to the logo will be mine if you are chosen. (Dave Gink designed the current gigposters.com one.. and he was cool with it) .. so don't expect royalties or anything. This is for fun, and to help me out.. if you don't want to give up the logo, then don't enter.**

THE PRIZE:

6 months of banner advertising on http://www.albumcovers.org .. AND .. 6 months of banner advertising on http://www.gigposters.com

DEADLINE:

I'm not exactly sure.. around a couple weeks.. whenever I'm ready to launch the site. (so the sooner the better). If I know an exact date, I will let everyone know.

May the best logo win! (and thanks again)

[ This Message was edited by: Clay on 2002-08-19 02:28 ]

Comments

Clay, there are almost no collectors of album covers. Go for the movie posters instead. MUCH more interest in that and hence more viable to sustain its own site. Loads if dealers, collectors and images available.
    Rene

Head Honcho

Comments

I did! (I posted the info in the other thread).

http://www.gigposters.com/phpBB/view...c=1883&forum=2

Comments

right on! missed that thread totally but my answer would've been a big fat ditto!
    lookin forward to it clay, well done that man...

Comments

There are actually TONS of album cover collectors sites springing up all over the net. The thriftstore collectore guys are getting write ups in magazines and stuff... It's mainly Mambo and Salsa and weird "Stereophonic Sounds of Outer Space" type stuff from the 60's that's really widespread... I think the Album cover site would be a great offshoot of this site because we all do music related art here and most of us do albums covers in addition to posters... As per collectors, there are definitely MORE movie poster collectors but how many of US are involved in these? Is there a Movie poster designer art scene? I collect movie posters and I know a few of the old artists names but there's not a culture for the CURRENT movie poster guys like there is for US the "rock" artists... Who would be posting on the message boards at the Movie Poster site?

Comments

Good point about the current movie scene.

Comments

the reason there's no real community I think for movie poster artists is coz how many times can you talk about "yeah the studio wanted (insert famous name here)'s face really big and airbrushed next to (costar)'s face, with a shot from the movie added at the bottom, with a nice airbrush fade down to it. Then I dropped on the logo under that and that same boring block of white credit text at teh bottom."

long story short: there's not too much of an art to most movie posters these days...yknow? show a famous face(s) real big and drop in the logo... photoshop the hell out of it. woo. nothing too exciting.

oh, and back on topic... yeah... I'll definitely try to do a logo this time, I got sidetracked on the last one and dont' wanna miss out on that prize!

Comments

oh yeah clay, how can we send you covers we've done... or when?

also is it just albums/CD's or 7"'s as well?

thanks.

Comments

Nolen is exactly right -- posters look the way they do now thanks to Photoshop and star contracts. I worked briefly at an entertainment design studio and it was depressing -- take a black backround, fade in a couple of big celeb heads (taking care to paint out any unsightly blemishes), ghost some objects into the background (airplane/car/explosion/etc.), add the film title in tracked out Trajan Bold and voila! You've got a poster.

Comments

my friend mike just got a buttload of cash from this hip hop mag he writes for to do a documentary on sneakers in hip hop culture.
    he's in prepreduction now and is getting y. and i to design nd screenprint 1000 3 color posters.
    should be cool.
    there will be no photoshop involved.