Gig Posters

Posters: 155580 | Bands: 135529 | Designers: 11507                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Printing on CD faces

Sorry if this has been posted before. i tried searching back posts and got about 8000 results - none of which seem to really answer what i was looking for.

anyhoo i was wondering if anyone knew anything about printing on cd faces. what kind of ink to use? do you have to varnish? tricks?

i want to do a little series of CDR's and i thought it might be nice to screen print right on the face of the cd but my first efforts with latex ending up with a lot of weird reticulation problems. i want something nice and flat not something that looks like the martha stewart faux finishing guide.

any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Premium Member

Comments

CANCER!!!
    "I guarantee, the image will not be fade off and you will be pleasure it too. " - a bootlegger
    We need to print a tshirt "Avoid sucker effect!"-Fabio
    "fudge isn't sharp"-phoondaddy

thanks that's exactly what i needed.

yr the best steve

Comments

Default opps check out my newest post

for some reason i made a new post about your question

Comments

Default Hardcore textile for cdprinting

Nova days we are using havy textile paint for printing on cdsurface and it works OK, but before we spray on blank cdroms.

More photo documentation:
    http://photo.obin.org/obin-cdrom+photos.html

Comments

nice work!

i've also found that if you spraypaint a background color you can screen over that and it stays pretty well.

Comments

i've printed on cd's before. i used nazdar 9700, a very versatile vinyl ink. has about a 30 minute drying time and can be used for any sort of non-textile printing.

i'd print through a >230mesh screen with a very hard squeegee and i got great results on a very consistent basis.

Comments

Default hmm

We dont have that paint in europe and the screen [mesch] is 58 lines per centimeter (i dont know how it aply to yours, US sizes).
    we do need to change that paint becouse ok results was for about 10 cds, after that screen get a bit stucked and not whole paint been going thru. sticker paint (plastisle but passyble to wash with water) will be OK for cds too, specialy with no stencil background.

Default Re: hmm

Quote Originally Posted by szczym
    We dont have that paint in europe and the screen [mesch] is 58 lines per centimeter (i dont know how it aply to yours, US sizes).
    we do need to change that paint becouse ok results was for about 10 cds, after that screen get a bit stucked and not whole paint been going thru. sticker paint (plastisle but passyble to wash with water) will be OK for cds too, specialy with no stencil background.
    US size for 58 lines per centimeter is nearly 150

Premium Member

Comments

I print CDs all the time (hell I will sell you a nice precise Squeegeeville CDscreen printer!)

and use DRY FILM general purpose ink by ND graphics in Canada. In the USA, the nazdar mentioned or any other GP plastic ink will probably work, just test on a virgin CD (get your ink supplier to test). IN Europe, use (Coates)Weiderhold or Marabu or Sericol general purpose. these are solvent based inks, you need them if you want the ink to bite the surface and stick. I have yet to see a waterbase that will do this, if anyone knows of one that won't flake, let's hear it.

If your ink is drying in, get some retarder paste/microprint gel (there are different names) and some retarder thinner. Use fine mesh and runny ink. I run mine through 305.
    The pros use UV ink, but you need a $5000 dryer so lets not go there today.

1. Use blank CDs - if they have any printing on the inks won't stick well

2. make a little circle jig cutout and you can use this on any vacuum table if you don't want to buy my little press. You want the lip edge of the cd to be slightly higher than your jig, then you won't wear a hole in your stencil/screen where it hits the CD.

3. Don't try and print full graphics unless you like the spraypaint idea, good for short runs. There are CD art templates avaialble on a lot of pro CD printing sites, just google CD screenprinting and look for the tmeplates on the sites that offer printing. These set your inside and outside print dimensions.

4. Do multicolour register by printing a small index tick near the edge, or if you have type out at the edge, pick a point you can line up an index mark on your jig to. this allows you to place the CD in register each time.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.