Gig Posters

Posters: 156080 | Bands: 135806 | Designers: 11531                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Comments

Default watercolor gig posters?

Hello everyone, I'm new to this website and to the world of gig posters so please pardon my ignorance.

I'm an illustrator who works primarily with watercolors and I have recently been contacted to make a poster. After doing some research i noticed that almost all gig posters were done digitally or using pencils and ink.

My question is: Can I use watercolor as I usually do for my illustrations, and can it easily get screen printed? And what is your opinion on using that medium for gig poster making?

Here's a little example of what I do: https://38.media.tumblr.com/44ad8226...x4jco1_500.png
    I would like to use that nebula effect for the poster I want to make, would that create some complications for printing? Thank you!

Comments
    Items for Sale

Four color process is usually the way to go, check out landland.net for some great stuff.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

You would half-tone or otherwise dither the colors. There's plenty of example on here.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by cecilyrhys View Post
    Four color process is usually the way to go, check out landland.net for some great stuff.
    I see thanks! And great website, really beautiful things in there.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by lil_tuffy View Post
    You would half-tone or otherwise dither the colors. There's plenty of example on here.
    So I can work with watercolors the way I want then edit the piece digitally to halftone it right? Looks like I have a lot to learn about poster making! I'll make sure to take a look at the work posted here thanks
    Last edited by transmission13; 08-31-2014 at 02:57 PM.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

In the example you posted it would be very easy separating it into yellow, magenta, cyan and black.

Comments

I almost always use these colors when I try to paint space with watercolors, I'll try to keep the color palette simple so I can easily edit it later, thanks a lot!!

Comments

If you practice making your color separations by hand painting with acetate ink on textured polycarbonate(mylar) you can make marks that look like watercolor (or at least like old fashion aquatint). As I said it take practice but you can avoid halftone dots this way.

Premium Member

Comments

Technically you can use absolutely any colors you want and then you digitally separate them into Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black...when you screenprint them they will overlay to create almost any color that your original contained...at least fairly closely.

I notice you are typing from Morocco...I love seeing more work coming from new places.

Comments
    Items for Sale

Also second squeegeethree, I haven't done that specifically, but I've done similar things with pen. But it does take practice to figure out what'll expose and what won't, so don't try it out on something that needs to be done proper first try.