Gig Posters

Posters: 155148 | Bands: 135183 | Designers: 11479                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Premium Member

Comments

Default Fluorescent bulb to LED conversion?

Saw these online and thought it may be a pretty cheap way to convert a fluorescent tube unit to LED. Is there much difference between fluorescent and LED when it comes to exposure? Food for thought.

http://www.gelighting.com/LightingWe...led-system.jsp

Comments

LED's last a lot longer than any actinic/halide etc bulbs, so need replacing less, that's about as far as i can say knowledge wise. As far as i'm aware they're also cheaper to replace, but i use 8 Actinic bulbs in my exposure unit and they cost me 1.96 each to replace.

In terms of exposure quality/time differences i couldn't say.

Comments

Yeah, LED exposure units are UV LEDS, pretty sure they'd be useless if they weren't. Look up the brand 'Starlight'.

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by SplitEar View Post
    Yeah, LED exposure units are UV LEDS, pretty sure they'd be useless if they weren't. Look up the brand 'Starlight'.
    I actually didn't know they made UV LEDS, make sense. The question was more if they product he linked to was available in UV. Otherwise, not so useful.

Comments

I reckon so, those light's he's linked are listed as an alternative to fluorescent lighting, i'm assuming with lightboxes and exposure in mind.

Premium Member

Comments

The linked bulbs do emit uv. Actually saw them on a print supply shop as a replacement option the other day so i guess everyones got the same idea. Anyways, any reason these cheapo strands of LED lights couldn't work? They are rated at 420nm like the actinic bulbs and used for aquariums. 15 bucks for 16 feet of LED would probably get pretty pricey, I would imagine you would have to throw as many in there as possible. Adhesive back and made to be daisy chained. I called vastex about their LED conversion kit and they run around $5000 or so if I remember correctly. Plus they are only available for smaller units focused on textile printing. Just throwing ideas around, I need to go to sleep.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/420-nm-Viole...p2054897.l4275

Premium Member

Comments

i think it really depends on what kind of light in the spectrum they're emitting, there's also high end guys that you can adjust what kind of light they're putting out, exciting stuff. i've been thinking of replacing my nuarc single point with an led single point for some time now, i figure if you can grow plants with them you can definitely expose a screen.