Gig Posters

Posters: 156383 | Bands: 135985 | Designers: 11550                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Default american tempo 'i suck' questions

hey guys, i've been printing large run jobs and generally figuring out the bugs with this american tempo for the past couple of months. i think i have it pretty dialed in except for an issue with ink lay down on any color following the first. it almost appears like the ink has dried in the screen, but it's definitely not the case because it's almost every pull and it will be a different pattern. i've adjust the pressure and peel every which way which can tend to fix it with enough pressure, but i risk muddy edges and i've been wearing screens out less than 300 prints into a job. two passes will fix it but i know that it should be able to hammer it out fine with just one. maybe more off contact? i don't know, having a hard time wrapping my head around this one, any help is greatly appreciated. here's some pics of the issue-
    the machine

this is about as bad as it gets and it's only on the left side of the bed, which is nice and flat and very clean.

here is a less crappy one

and one with two passes

any ideas?

Comments

First off it looks like your floodbar is backwards. LOL
    Last edited by squeegeethree; 07-03-2014 at 05:44 AM. Reason: LOL

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

oh yeah, haha, i figured somebody would catch that. it's normally in the proper way i just slapped it in there for the pic.

Comments

Also stop taping out your gutters. Use your photo emulsion or a screen filler. Taping screens really messes with your screens ability to stretch and snap.

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by squeegeethree View Post
    Also stop taping out your gutters. Use your photo emulsion or a screen filler. Taping screens really messes with your screens ability to stretch and snap.
    Is this true for hand printing as well? I tape them more for easy clean-up than anything else.

Comments

OK then. that's not the issue.
    There is no real reason that your prints should look like this. So it has to do with your setup.
    My guess is your ink is not clearing your screen, then the next print it does but puts down twice as much ink and smooshes onto the back of your screen.

#1 check that your press bed is flat and level.
    #2 check that your carriage head is level to your press bed.
    #3 check that your squeegee is not warped.
    #4 switch the durometer of your squeegee
    #5 make sure all your vacuum holes are covered while printing. Make sure your vacuum is working properly.
    #6 slow down your print speed
    #7 increase your squeegee angle
    #8 lower your off- contact, lower your peel.
    #9 then raise your off contact, raise your peel.
    #10 your screen tension could be crap
    #11 if your reg tabs are thick make sure your squeegee isn't running over them or that your boarders are big enough so it doesn't matter.
    #12 try a more open mesh.

Comments

Mechanically a press can falter on one side like you are seeing. Depending on the way the press is built..
    #1 check that the chop is descending at the same time on both sides and not see-sawing down.
    #2 make sure both sides are getting adequate air supply and that no air lines are kinked.
    #3 double check all the bolts holding the squeegee clamp bar in place to make sure non are wiggling during printing.
    #4 Check your pressure micrometers to make sure the are fixed properly and aren't striped. If they are striped you will feel a soft spot when dialing in pressure.
    #5 If the gearbox that brings the carriage assembly up and down is a oiled unit make sure there is enough oil in the gear box or replace oil.
    #6 listen for any hissing or loss of air during printing. If you hear more air hiss during the print vs flood stroke you may have a damaged line or a stuck air switch.
    #7 If your vacuum bed can be raised and lowered make sure that everything is locked in place.
    #8 make sure your air line are free of water and that your oil/water condenser trap is empty. Water entering the lines can damaged the chop cylinders if your press has them.
    #9 double check all daily/weekly/monthly oil and grease procedures are met.

Comments

It's true for hand as well, but the pressures for semi-auto is greater so it's more exaggerated. Sometimes we can purposely shorten an image if reg is wonky by adding some brown paper packing tape to the bottom of our screens. I guess as long as you are consistent with your tape job it will be consistent.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

hey thanks squeegee, a great checklist for me to go through. i think i've narrowed it down to a new durometer blade or maybe a stronger vacuum. the blade that's on there is pretty stiff, maybe a 90? every auto press i've ever operated prior has had a 70 so i figure i'll pick one of those up.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by El Roacho View Post
    hey thanks squeegee, a great checklist for me to go through. i think i've narrowed it down to a new durometer blade or maybe a stronger vacuum. the blade that's on there is pretty stiff, maybe a 90? every auto press i've ever operated prior has had a 70 so i figure i'll pick one of those up.
    We use a 5 layered squeegee. Hands down worth every penny. (the white,blue,red,blue,white blade)
    http://www.encoreenginc.com/pdf/FT_HR5_GB.pdf
    Last edited by squeegeethree; 07-04-2014 at 02:38 PM.