Gig Posters

Posters: 155148 | Bands: 135183 | Designers: 11479                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Comments

Default Reclaiming after halftones issue

So, I've tried a handful of halftone prints, all came out pretty well. When i reclaim my screen I can get most of the emulsion washed out easily except for a couple little halftone dots....is my screen underexposed? or do I just need a pressure washer? or both?

Oh, I'm printing on 230 mesh yellow screens. 2min 50sec exposure time over two 48" unfiltered blacklights (about 12" below)

also, unrelated.....
    what is the best way to remove ink stains from your screens?

thank you! any help is very appreciated...

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Probably need a pressure washer.

Dehazer for stain removal. I use this: http://www.anthemprintingsf.com/The-...kstuff-qrt.htm

Comments

Thanks will definitely try that dehazer. I figured i just need a pressure washer.

Premium Member

Comments

pressure washer is always good.

Underexposed screens are harder to reclaim.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments
    Items for Sale

also, as someone who both has had underexposure issues in the past and also did non-pressure washer reclaims, i found that:

underexposure usually caused large portions of the screen/the entire screen to be harder to reclaim rather than a very small amount

and pressure washers solve so many problems. self serve car washes are your friends if you're trying to see if that'll help.

Comments

Lay your screens on a bed of thick paper towel soaked in bleach. Put more paper towels soaked in bleach on top of it and cover it with some plastic sheeting. Lay some heavy books on top of the plastic sheeting making even contact across the screen. Let it sit overnight then wash. Most of your emulsion should dissolve right out. The more airtight you make the package the better it works.

Get a power washer though that's the real answer.

Comments

Underexposed emulsion sucks, it's really hard to remove in spots where there's already some ghosting.

Pressure washer is key -- especially with water resistant emulsions -- but I sometimes end up with spots that don't fully wash out, even with the stream on the tightest setting. Haven't used dehazer, I guess I should start, huh?

EDIT: Always wondered why this was so, Ulano explains it here: http://www.ulano.com/FAQ/FAQstenremoval.htm

Q1:Why isn't my stencil remover working?

It is very important to never let the stencil remover dry. It locks the stencil in the mesh with a permanent chemical bond.

Under exposed stencils are harder to remove than completely cured/exposed stencils.

Under exposed means some of the sensitizer did not cross link. This is always on the inside of the stencil because invisible UV energy didn't have enough time to move all the way through the stencil to the inside. Penetration of UV energy is not 'linear'. The deeper the UV energy has to penetrate, the longer it takes based on the physics rule called the Inverse Square Law. If you double a distance energy has to travel, it takes 4 times the energy - NOT double. Many low energy UV lamps may never penetrate a thick stencil.

When you spray stencil remover on the stencil, it has to penetrate and attack the chemical crosslinks formed by UV exposure. No crosslinks - no easy stencil removal.

The stencil remover chemical creates another reaction with under-exposed stencil and forms a chemical bond with the mesh that is very difficult to remove.

Comments

Always get a pressure washer, it'll solve every issue with reclaiming. Also make sure your reclaiming chemical isn't drying on the screens before washing out, this will damn your screens pressure washer or not. I use Pregasol coat it, and wash it out straight away, then de-grease and de-haze.

Comments

Thanks for all the help.

Definitely gonna look into getting a pressure washer.
    As far as letting stencil remover dry on the screen, already made that mistake once.
    trashed all my screens.

Comments

Ok, Finally was able to borrow a pressure washer. worked perfectly and got all the little bits of dried emulsion out.
    Also tried out some of the "the green stuff" dehazer/degreaser. works awesome. highly recommend it.