Gig Posters

Posters: 156388 | Bands: 135994 | Designers: 11550                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Comments

Default Most Suitable Poster inks.

I am currently based in the UK and am broadening my current t-shirt business into posters and flat substrates. I am having real difficulty in finding some sort of decent pre-mixed poster ink that can be bought in litres as opposed to Gallons.

There is System 3 Acrylic which is readily available and when mixed with a binder works well, however it's not what i would imagine to be a high quality print. I haven't tested this yet, but a few of the painters that work near me suggest System 3 is a terrible acrylic paint, not sure how well that translates to screen printing, but i need to have a decent level of quality.

I have tried Permaprint which is relatively good.... except it dries in the screen after 2 pulls even WITH back flooding on a 71 mesh... This stuff allegedly goes through 120 meshes as standard... somehow i don't think so.

I have looked into TW Inks, and they seem like the best bet, however they are only sold unmixed in gallons with base and pigment needing mixing, pigment is 80 per gallon, base is 60, which is ridiculous.

I'm tempted to order Nazdar or Speedball from America and have it shipped over, because i can't see any other option currently in getting a decent poster ink. Nazdar has an office in the UK but the ONLY ink it doesn't stock readily is the 2700 Series Waterbased poster ink...

Does anyone have any suggestions here?
    Thanks in advance.
    -Alex
    Last edited by SplitEar; 06-11-2014 at 10:14 AM.

Comments

Ask Nazdar to start stocking the series you want. System3 is worth giving a shot. It's easier to use than TW or Nazdar but better than Speedball. The reason your painter friends don't like it for painting is it's not Daler-Rowney's premium paint it the middle of the pack quality (you don't want premium anyway). Look for Lascaux inks while you're at it.

Comments

I have rang them a lot, i have a friend who runs a rather large poster printing operation in Scotland and he's interested (He uses TW currently) but they were um'ing about the idea, i'll trying ringing them again, it might get in their heads that there is a need for pre-mixed poster inks in the UK!

You think System 3 is better than Speedball? I've just found a UK stockist for Speedball and thought that'd be my best option, but i'm tempted by System 3, my painter neighbours i imagine are just being rather snooty regarding the inks, so i'll try it. TW seems to give the best finish (i have a few prints i've bought using them) but i just can't afford to buy ink in Gallons currently.

Thanks for the advice, very helpful to find some advice in this area, i'll look up Lascaux now.

Quote Originally Posted by squeegeethree View Post
    Ask Nazdar to start stocking the series you want. System3 is worth giving a shot. It's easier to use than TW or Nazdar but better than Speedball. The reason your painter friends don't like it for painting is it's not Daler-Rowney's premium paint it the middle of the pack quality (you don't want premium anyway). Look for Lascaux inks while you're at it.