Gig Posters

Posters: 156357 | Bands: 135960 | Designers: 11547                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Default Printing on paper bags

Beginnier question.

I got problem with printing paper bags (100gsm paper). I printed some before with simple artwork / Print. Everything turned out well. Now I am trying to print artwork with larger ink coverage area, approx 22cm round circle.

I got very basic printer without vac attachment.

Problem I have that the print area sticks randomly to the screen when pulling screen up and as a result the print is partly bubbly. I have tried to leave some space between product and screen, printed different speeds and angles but still get unacceptable results. My printing plate is exact width of the bag and I slide the bag over, it prevents the movement to some extent but is not the ideal fix. I am heading to shop tomorrow to buy some spray to make the bag stick to the printing plate. If anyone has any experiences or ideas please share. Thanks!

Premium Member

Comments

Jazzman,

Might want to send a quick note to mile44 (Chicago)
    They have printed on paper bags
    GigPosters.com - Favorite Saints - Comorevi-butter Fly - A Band Called Blower

Have fun!

Comments

if sticking is a problem, either a DIY vac table or spray adhesive is going to be your best bet, IMHO.

Comments

It sounds like you're printing on a t-shirt press (with a platen) and with the bag open and pulled on to the platen, right? If that is the case, simply adding some spray tack to the platen should correct your sticking. Other things that you'd want to try (make sure you have a nice tight screen) is up your off contact, increase your squeegee angle and stroke speed to promote good peel, and maybe use a higher mesh screen… my two bits.

Thanks for your comments!! I got spray yesterday and it makes a big difference. I will start my DIY vac table project soon.

@ B-DROID yes I print same style as would print on T-shirt just pulling it on platen. I think by placing the bag on the platen I would get serious registration issues.

Question to anyone with vac table who has pretend paper bags. Is it possible to print placing the paper bag on the vac table, does the vac generate enough suction to hold 2 layers of paper bag in place. Or would it make still more sense to slide the bag over like printing a shirt?

Premium Member

Comments

we print bags on a vacuum table - they just sit. We use a bit higher lift (off contact) also, watch the seams - artwork/print doesn't like printing over bumps

Quote Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
    Thanks for your comments!! I got spray yesterday and it makes a big difference. I will start my DIY vac table project soon.

@ B-DROID yes I print same style as would print on T-shirt just pulling it on platen. I think by placing the bag on the platen I would get serious registration issues.

Question to anyone with vac table who has pretend paper bags. Is it possible to print placing the paper bag on the vac table, does the vac generate enough suction to hold 2 layers of paper bag in place. Or would it make still more sense to slide the bag over like printing a shirt?
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Premium Member

Comments

It depends by the bags, however the only way I've successed printing these bags was using a wood pallet covered with paper tape and then sprayed a bit with the classic spray glue used when you print tshirts. It's quite slow to print them at the start but when the spray is removed a bit then you print fast. Use just a small amount of spray glue.