Gig Posters

Posters: 155619 | Bands: 135529 | Designers: 11506                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Default newbie questions

Hi, I'm an artist and I've always wanted to do some gig posters. How can I get a gig for a gig poster? I don't know any local bands or anything like that. I have done a lot of illustrations and woodblock prints and I think these can be converted to gig posters easily.

I've spoken with 2 people who've made gig posters. One guy was from London and just started out young and grew his notoriety by word of mouth (this is not an option for me because I'm nearly 30 and don't know any bands). The other guy I spoke with said to join the American Poster Institute and you can bid on jobs through there. Does anyone know if that is true? It costs $40 to join, but I don't see any information on the site regarding bidding on jobs.

At this point I don't care about money, I just want some freelance work to do and I want to do a gig poster.

Also, I realize that whomever wants the poster is going to want to see a portfolio. When starting out, would it be lame to do some fake gig posters just to showcase my skills?

Please help, and thank you.
    Last edited by blackcat; 09-30-2014 at 03:37 PM.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat View Post
    The other guy I spoke with said to join the American Poster Institute and you can bid on jobs through there. Does anyone know if that is true? It costs $40 to join, but I don't see any information on the site regarding bidding on jobs.
    That is completely untrue. Occasionally, there are open calls for tour series and the like on here but those are almost always unpaid jobs and likely will go to at least marginally established artists in whatever city the show happens to be in.

I'd say at least having some connection to your local music scene is a pretty crucial ingredient when starting out and I really don't have any ideas on how to circumvent that step.

Premium Member

Comments

don't do a fake a poster. do an art print and take it to a show. show it to the band or the venue and tell them you want to do gigposters with/for them (do a search of the forums for what to charge before going to the show).

keep doing it until you get someone to say yes.

once you do a gigposter for them keep doing it to get more.

Quote Originally Posted by lil_tuffy View Post
    That is completely untrue. Occasionally, there are open calls for tour series and the like on here but those are almost always unpaid jobs and likely will go to at least marginally established artists in whatever city the show happens to be in.

I'd say at least having some connection to your local music scene is a pretty crucial ingredient when starting out and I really don't have any ideas on how to circumvent that step.
    Ah ok I see now! The guy I talked to had done a bunch of posters for bands at a festival that came through here so I am thinking that's what he did. What do you consider as marginally established and how often do those tour series things come up?

Well I do know 1 person who's into the music scene so maybe that'll help. I go to concerts all the time I just don't know the bands personally.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeage View Post
    don't do a fake a poster. do an art print and take it to a show. show it to the band or the venue and tell them you want to do gigposters with/for them (do a search of the forums for what to charge before going to the show).

keep doing it until you get someone to say yes.

once you do a gigposter for them keep doing it to get more.
    Ok thanks...I will go the art print route.

Comments

You can also try talking to venues in your area. A lot of bars/clubs make their own posters and fliers for local shows and might be down to give you a chance at doing some designs. Definitely make sure you've got a good portfolio to show—art prints, illustrations, or other applicable work.