Gig Posters

Posters: 155580 | Bands: 135513 | Designers: 11505                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Premium Member

Comments

Default When you're in a rut...

I've been in a rut for like three years now. Some major life changes really fucked up my routine and I'm not getting back into the swing as quickly as it feels like I should be able to. I've had periods like this before but only for like 3-6 months at the most. I haven't made anything that I'm really pleased with or much at all for that matter for a long fucking time now. A lot of starts and stops, big ideas that fade quickly, random half assed drawings in sketchbooks, etc. Sure I've made stuff but it's "just OK" and I can't seem to get myself into a pattern of routinely making or printing anything, you know... art just for the sake of making art. I'm not really looking for clients.

I'm pretty annoyed at this point.

How do I reboot and get back in a groove? I can't be the only person this has ever happened to.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Go to some gallery shows, poster shows, browse some art books or on the net - wherever there is other art that inspires you, find & marvel at it. Sometimes all it takes for me to get inspired is to be around other artists or their work.
    Good Ideas thru Bad Living™

Asshole for the People™

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Walk around with a camera taking loads of spontaneous pictures of just whatever catches your eye: not just of "things" but compositions, light and dark...nothing fussy. When you look at your shots later, out of context, you may find the seeds of ideas worth exploring.

Comments

Take a bunch of drugs.

Comments

Don't have kids or if you've already got kids then use them as inspiration, they have some awesome ideas.
    Ruts are a state of mind, so start doing some mental gymnastics in an area outside your current realm.

Premium Member

Comments

I always turn the wheel a bit and gun it and hold on.

You may crash, but you will be out of the rut. Pick the bike up and get going.

....oh shit you were talking about making prints....

Go find some print people and hang out with them, or find a place where you can teach some rookies. I'm constantly inspired by my 'students'.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

I've never experienced anything that bad so I don't really have any advice for anything but short term
    Spells. But I think the most important thing is to break the routine. I'll use these times to clean-up everything from my email to my desk to the garage. Remove all of the clutter. Rearranging the furniture helps.... Change the pictures on your wall... Hell, sometimes I sleep the other way in my bed.

Next, change your hours. In the last year, I've focused on getting out of bed and going for a walk or a ride before I look at my computer. If it's a super nice day, I'll drive to the beach or across the Golden Gate Bridge and just spend an hour appreciating where I live.

As far as idea generation, I start making lists, screenshoting or taking pics of everything that catches my eye. I check out ffffound and Pinterest and go down tumblr k-holes. Go to galleries and museums. And not the usual shit... Expose yourself to things you wouldn't typically give a shit about (I made myself go to a Chinese pottery show).

Force yourself to do a daily excercise - I try to draw a number of things everyday - a skull, the letter E, a flower, a motorcycle. Whatever. Check out bobby dixons Instagram for a pretty rad example.

Premium Member

Comments

Come up to my shop in Nordeast, drink beer and let's do some printing.
    Last edited by rochambo; 10-06-2014 at 03:38 PM. Reason: vodka