Gig Posters

Posters: 156357 | Bands: 135966 | Designers: 11548                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Default First poster print. Can I get a critique?

I'm a screen printer in Alb. New Mexico. This is my first poster print for an artist named Todd Ryan White in Santa Fe. It's for an art show featuring the work inspired by "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R. R. Martin. More pictures at A Feast For Crows: Brienne / ToddRyanWhite

I would like to know from experienced printers how it looks to the trained eye.

Here are the details:
    Print is 22 x 15 inches printed on 80lb. French kraft paper
    6 color using acrylic ink.
    Printed using table top screen clamps.
    Last edited by tripelife; 03-25-2014 at 03:49 PM. Reason: forgot the pictures

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

You're good. Keep going. I quit.

Thanks. If any one requests it I will make a step by step how to.

Comments

Looks good. Since there is no type on it I would just called it a print not a poster but whatevs. I've got no real criticisms but I guess I would like to see the line weight vary a little bit more. Especially where it gets dense as the lines feel a bit congested.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

All art is subjective, so here's my subjective criticism:
    There's too much: too many vaguely symbolic images competing for attention, so it makes everything a bit confusing. It's a bit like some (most) movie posters, where there are faces of all the characters in different scales crammed all together...too many events in a narrative all trying to coexist in a single frame.

Execution is solid. It's obvious that the piece began as a b&w drawing with color fills added later. That isn't necessarily bad but it does flatten everything. Screenprint affords the opportunity to use color for different parts of the line art as well, and this could be a good way to add depth, bring key elements forward, etc.

Comments

great print... given what you were working with and this being your first print... I do have to say this is very awesome.

Comments

I love to see the step by step how to. Where do you get your transparencies printed?

Thanks for all the responses. I printed the transparencies with an epson r1800 at my shop at 65 lpi.