Gig Posters

Posters: 156357 | Bands: 135960 | Designers: 11547                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ughh...Doing 3 or 4 color posters with 1 screen on DIY rig....Registration...help

OK....Im trying to figure this out and put together a cheap setup to do 2-4 color posters and there is 1 part of the process I cannot wrap my brain around!
    Thinking simple flat surface, a few hinge clamps....1 alum screen...etc.

Assuming I will have 1 screen....My process would be:

-Burn screen color 1
    -Print 30 copies

- Burn screen color 2
    -Print 30 copies

Repeat above until all colors done.

Here's where my brain explodes:
    Between color runs....I have pulled my screen to burn a new color and all my prints are hanging dried.
    So at this point nothing is registered to anything.....

When I go to do color #2......How do I register my screen to the print? Of course once I register the 1st one then the rest will be easy enough.....
    I dont want to actually 'print' crop marks and then cut....

The only thing my brain can come up with is to just 'eyeball' registration? And that seems wrong....if its even possible depending on color placement.

What part of this easy process am I completely missing?

Thx guys

Premium Member

Comments

Just cover your hatch marks with packing tape after you align your layer. Hopefully on a run of 30 the ink wont bleed through.

Hmmm....I am dense. I am not getting this....
    If I have registration marks on my screen.....how does that help if there are no registration marks printed on the paper?
    When I go to line up the screen for color #2...sure the screen might have marks...but the paper won't?

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

uh oh...

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

try lining your separations/ vellum up with your first color down. tape it down to the paper. then line it up with the screen and begin.

Comments

Just print a couple of extra sheets with registration marks on them and tape them out as Dave says on the bottom of the screen once those are done. We rarely use registration marks though. Print color number 1. When it's dry tape the film for color number 2 onto a printed sheet of color number one. Line up the film to the screen and set registration. Print and repeat.

Premium Member

Comments

I usually just tape my line art film to a piece of paper then register every color off that. It seems to provide the best results. It will require you to have at least two screens though. Burn your line art on one and use the second screen for the other colors.
    That way you can have registration marks and just tape them off before you start printing.
    "when folks stop being real, and start fucking each other like rabbits just before armageddon" ~John A

Purchase Posters-
    http://mazza.bigcartel.com/ - www.philaarts.com - www.lonestarposters.com

My Posters-
    http://www.gigposters.com/designer/31393_Jim_Mazza.html

www.mazzaart.com

Comments

I print the first print with the reg marks open and then tape them off. Usually the first color is light, as I'm always printing between 6-8 colors, so I need to go over the reg marks with a dark ink pen after the first color pass so I can see it though the screens when registering subsequent color passes. Then it's easy enough to line up that first print for all the other stencils.

Comments
    Items for Sale

I think the hang-up here is knowing where to put the paper each time after you sort out registration. So you need to put take around the paper (just bottom corner and one side) after you register it, then just align each print with that tape.

Premium Member

Comments

just do designs that don't need registration.
    problem solved.