Gig Posters

Posters: 155580 | Bands: 135505 | Designers: 11505                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Comments

Default EPSON 9890 for film output, having some size issues

So we bought a new machine a few months back to replace our old Epson 9700, it was an Epson 9890. It started out giving us issues with film sizing... film to film, say color #3 film is slightly smaller than #1, #2, & #4, etc... It was always random, some jobs were fine, others were not. And sometimes it would be a warp, where the top left side of the film seemed stretched out, but the other 3 corners would register, sometimes a whole side would be off. Well we fixed that issue by adjusting our print settings to 'printer manages color' & setting it to 'Premium Luster Photo Paper (260) at 4(0.1mm) thickness. Since then our films have been lining up film to film in every case. BUT they are approximately 1/16" to 1/8" smaller than sizing in photoshop. So an 18x24" poster in most cases prints to film with the distance between the crop marks coming out to approx: 17.9375x23.875"

Anyone have some settings advice? What are you using to get accurate film results on your machine? Its funny, we never had an issue on our 9700, and I carried over the settings we were using on that to the new machine originally. But the 9890 now has a motorized roll feeder, I get the feeling that may have something to do with it? Needing to calibrate things or tweak settings that possibly could effect its feeding speed and tension.

We're using Fixxons Waterproof 4 mil film by the way.

Comments

Are you using a RIP or outputting directly from photoshop? If you're not outputting via RIP I bet the sizing issue is coming from how your printer is communicating with and deciphering the info photoshop is sending it.

Comments

Have always printed direct from photoshop, but do you think that could be an issue even though it was never a problem with our last printer?

Comments

Yeah, from what I've heard the newer Epsons have some issues with communicating. Not sure if that is it or not because I have limited experience with them.

Comments

Thanks for the input, I'll give a RIP a try

Comments

Fabio has a thread dedicated to this topic already. Do a forum search.

Premium Member

Comments

its funny I had this same issue printing seps from illustrator using an epson 1800. The only work around that got the films the correct size was through trial and error I print the films at 102.5% and they come out the correct size.

Comments

"Scale to fit media" get me sometimes as I always have it off but some clients files were saved with it clicked on and I forget to check it.

Premium Member

Comments

If the image is smaller side to side as well, I don't think it would the motorized feeder.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

@squeegeethree, yeah I had been following the Fabio thread and commented on it as well. I tried a lot of the tips in that thread and sadly nothing worked. The films line up film to film almost perfect everytime, the problem is they are not accurate to the dimensions we size them at in the file. Typically a 18x24" comes out around 17 7/8 x 23 7/8". Someone in a digital print forum did suggest printing from PDF files rather than PSD or TIFF and that DID get the last few jobs closer(approx. 1/16" off on the longer axis of an 24x36" print rather than 1/8"+ it had been on the few prior). So I'd say it has to be something with software communicating with the machine, unrelated to the printed media or feed.

I think I'll be getting Accu-RIP, give that a shot.