Gig Posters

Posters: 155690 | Bands: 135552 | Designers: 11510                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Thread: emulsions ?

Default emulsions ?

Hello,
    I am looking for some education about emulsions. I have been using Speedball stuff and I am ready to move on to something better now. I took Jay Ryan's class a while back and saw how fast and easy the emulsion washout and detail went and would like some of that action for myself. It is starting to warm up and I am ready to start figuring out this process again.

I am wanting fine detail. I have mostly printed computer font text, thin lines, and simple art, on overhead transparency sheets then use enamel paint to print on Aluminum. It takes two sheets thick not to have the light bleed through. (I got some water proof transparencies and an ink jet printer to try now, but have not used them yet due to cold weather.)

I have 200-320ish screens. They are yellow mostly with some white. I expose on an old large fluorescent black light vacuum table. I have never used the vacuum part. Just been weighting down the frames with books. It runs on 220v and I have never bothered wiring the pump to see if it works or not.

The exposure time is around 2:30 to 3:30 minutes. I have issues washing out a screen with much more time and the Speedball emulsion just washes off if the time is any less. The screens are about 3 inches or less from the fluorescent tubes.

I have looked at the Ulano website for the QTX emulsion. Would this be what I need? I am not looking for anything super costly since the work is mostly for myself at the moment.

What suggestions for emulsion and remover/washout would you suggest for me?

Thanks for any leads,
    Last edited by delayed; 03-13-2014 at 03:54 AM.

Comments

I'm not giving an answer until you start using the vacuum part of your vacuum table. Until you do any answer I would give would be moot.

I am not 100% sure the pump works. It would take a little wiring to find out. What would the vacuum part matter? How is that better than just simple weight? And if the pump does not work, what pump would you suggest to look for?

Comments

You can try here for pump info they are the pros
    Douthitt Corporation Home Page
    A vacuum exposure isn't just about compression like your weights create. It's about getting the glass, film and screen in as complete contact as possible. You just cannot get a comparable contact with weights.
    My main point is that a lot of people that post in here would dream about having a proper exposure.
    To your main point you can pick any emulsion and be better than the speedball stuff but why not take it to the next next and do the exposure right.

Premium Member

Comments

yep.

plus tublight units mmmm not the best for fine detail, white mesh not the best, double layer shitty positives not the best....and if the pump doesn't work, you can get vacuum pumps at grainger....but you can also rig up a regular vacuum cleaner, just make a new valve connection to fit the blanket.

Look at the writeups on the emulsions available from any of the makers...Ulano, Kiwo, Murikami. Buy fine detail stuff - dual cure, you don't want or need high speed. The diff between shitty cheap emulsion and fine detail emulsion is pennies when it gets down to it, and one bad screen wipes out any savings.

there are threads on threads here where this has been talked about.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.