Gig Posters

Posters: 158176 | Bands: 137338 | Designers: 11638                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Default Total beginner needing a few Q's answered

Hi All,

I've been reading through the forum and think this is probably the best place if any to get some questions answered.

After learning the whole process of actually printing and setting up a screen I'm about to start my first 2 colour print on paper. I've hit a bit of a road block when it comes to inks. I'm looking for a waterbased ink that I can mix to get the nearest to a pantone swatch as I can (as a decent colour guide).

Do I start with a set of CMYK process inks and just start mixing using the CMYK Pantone breakdown as a guide?
    Is there a better way?

My local art shop stocks Speedball and Permaset Aqua - The Permaset aqua says its for textile printing, can it be used on paper too? How have you got on with it (if at all)?

Once I can resolve the mystery ink issues I'll be really to start f*cking everything else up as I go but for now I will stick to just this one questions

Premium Member

Comments

Using Speedball to start out is pretty normal. Use the permanent acrylic, not the water soluble. There are other companies like TW Graphics in the US that make really nice, high end inks, but start with just a few quarts of speedball and go from there. To color match, you kind of need to find inks that are close to the mixing colors in the pantone book and use the ratios to build your colors. Make sense? Weight everything out and write it down. Mix just a little bit to start out, then if its close, make as much as you need. Its trial and error and a good eye. Get a premium membership to GP and the advice will flow like beer.

Comments

The shop I started printing in only stocked white, black, cyan, magenta, yellow, and clear base. We somehow managed to match 90% of the colors we needed to pretty accurately with just those inks. But now that I know better I'm a strong believer that you need a warm and cool version of all the primaries along with white black and clear to really make color matching viable. This is mainly due to that fact that there is no true neutral blue, yellow or red out there that I have found.