Gig Posters

Posters: 156375 | Bands: 135980 | Designers: 11549                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comments

Default Mixing TW Graphics Water-based Inks

I posed this question elsewhere, but didn't get a response:

I'm thinking about picking up a few quarts of TW Graphics ink (5000 and/or 5500), but I had questions about mixing. Both series (5000 and 5500) have "Standard Colors" and "Single Pigment Mixing Colors."

1) Is it advisable NOT to mix the Standard Colors with other Standard Colors or Single Pigment Mixing Colors?
    2) Also, does anyone have any experience they want to share mixing the 5000 (gloss) and 5500 (flat) series?

Thanks.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Regarding the single-pigment and "standard" colors... They're the same stuff and you can combine.
    The point of using the single pigments is, you can more easily mix them to achieve a desired color without the result turning to mud, because more and more different pigments mixed = mud. You can make any of the multi-pigment Standard colors yourself from the single pigment inks.

I rarely buy any of the Standard colors... There's no point IMO...

Likewise you "can" mix 5000 and 5500 (5500 is just 5000 with a flatting additive) but that doesn't mean you should or would...you'd quickly lose track of which mixed inks contained what proportion and might end up with undesired results.

Comments

Thanks, crosshair, for the info.

Premium Member

Comments

And none of it matters. All the inks will mix, and all will print. In fact, you can mix TW with other acrylic inks, like speedball, if you really really need to.

In many cases, the relative flatness of an ink is dependent on the surface coating/texture of the paper. The gloss only becomes apparent as you build up print layers on top of each other.

Flat beer, especially shitty american brands, make an excellent mixing and thinning medium for TW inks. Makes your gigposters smell like authenticity!
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

Thanks, Andy.

On that topic what colours in the series would be good to start with to achieve a wide variety by mixing? I'm looking at the options and they have yellow shade green, yellow shade red, blue shade red, blue shade green etc. If I wanted a sort of standard "red yellow blue" to start mixing should I get any specific ones?

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Andymac View Post

Flat beer, especially shitty american brands, make an excellent mixing and thinning medium for TW inks. Makes your gigposters smell like authenticity!
    HAHA!!! This is great!

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Frédéric Bouin View Post
    On that topic what colours in the series would be good to start with to achieve a wide variety by mixing? I'm looking at the options and they have yellow shade green, yellow shade red, blue shade red, blue shade green etc. If I wanted a sort of standard "red yellow blue" to start mixing should I get any specific ones?
    You should go ahead and get both ys and bs red, gs and rs yellow, gs and rs blue, and magenta as well as black white and clear base. YS Green is handy too for the simple reason that it is much cheaper than the GS Yellow that would account for most of any green you mixed.

If you had to pick one of each Id say GS Yellow, GS Blue and BS Red. But that would be fairly limiting...they do make those different Reds, Blues and Yellows for a reason.

FWIW I go through 2 gallons of white and 3+ gallons of clear base for every gallon of an actual color.
    Crosshair pushing here until its limit the bringing together.

www.crosshairchicago.com

"Every single Crosshair poster I've ever seen is almost exactly the same. Do these guys even have a bit of creativity in them? I mean, come one - shitty old building pics photoshopped with text over them. Pretty pathetic to say the least."

"it just seems like so little effort is put into creating this? am i missing something?"

Premium Member

Comments

yeah here we are heavy on black, white, clear, and I also like to keep a gallon of process clear for mixing, it retards the ink drying.

I also keep quarts of process magenta, process blue, and a gallon of process black even though we don't do much process or 4 colour work - but they print nice and tint nice.

A purple or violet is good too because it is hard to get nice purples from red and blue.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

I get a good purple from Magenta + a little bit of RS Blue. I've never bought the Maroon; it's super expensive.