Gig Posters

Posters: 155313 | Bands: 135336 | Designers: 11496                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Comments

Default Printing on Wood using regular house paint! Help?!

I have searched the forums and found bits and pieces of info…but most of the threads are old! So I am here looking for some new information.

I currently make wood signs used for home decor with vinyl stencils. I have recently been asked to produce a higher quantity of my signs and I am not sure what method to use! I came across screen printing and have messed around with it a bit and thought this might be the method I am looking for!

I will be printing over painted/distressed wood. So it will not be directly on the wood.

So any info would help...

Size Mesh?

Best Paint? (I'd like to use interior paint so I can continue to distress my signs like I do with my stencils)

Any type of press that would work, so the centering on wood would stay consistent?!

Where I can have custom screens made…I few sizes I would need are 7x20, 7x14, 7x26.

Thanks in advance for any help, tips or hints you might have to offer!

Kelsie
    Last edited by klmann4; 02-04-2014 at 05:35 PM.

Comments

Mesh- probably something in the 150-180 neighborhood

Paint- interior latex should be fine

Press- Your best / cheapest bet would be just get a set of speedball clamps. If you use a standard wood size, like 1/4" plywood, mount your clamps to a piece of that on a table to use for printing. Then for each sign you could use scrap pieces to use as guides (one on side, one along bottom) to stay consistent.

Custom Screens- you'd want the sizes bigger than you actually need. Buy a couple larger screens and burn multiple images on them, cheaper and easier.

Premium Member

Comments

Interior latex will work fine. I just use the samples you can get from the paint counter at Lowes or Home Depot for a couple of bucks. Mix in some flotrol and you're good to go. I've put it through a 230 mesh screen before with no problems, but it was on paper, not wood, so I don't know if that'll make a difference or not.

Comments

Thank you for the tips!! They are greatly appreciated!! I just ordered some clamps this morning for making a press!

Comments

First, the info in these threads are timeless, not much has changed in the last few years in this industry.

Mesh = 137 -156 threads per inch

Press = what B-Droid said, but if you are doing one offs then just get a buddy to hold the screen where it needs to be while you print. Print unflooded and it will be pretty easy to get a perfect one hit.

Paint? = skip paint and get ink, you know, the thing that's made specifically for what you are trying to do. People waste so much time messing around with house paint when next level really requires the good stuff.

Custom screens?= I wouldn't bother with custom sized screens. You are limiting the size of the work you can do with these screens in the future and custom made screens will cost more to get then the stock sizes places like VictoryFactory.com keep in house. Just order 3 screens (all the same size) that will accommodate your largest image. This way if one rips you aren't screwed. Remember sizes online are the frame size OD not the image size. Take your image size and add 12" and that is your minimum screen OD. Bigger is better so don't skimp to save a couple bucks.

Squeegee = I would order a 65 and 75 durometer to try out but I'm betting the 65 durometer works better for you.
    Last edited by squeegeethree; 02-05-2014 at 04:16 PM.