Gig Posters

Posters: 155313 | Bands: 135336 | Designers: 11496                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Premium Member

Comments

Default Nazdar 59000 vs Transparent base

Hey guys, Longtime lurker here, but I'm about to dive into a new project that I had a few questions on that brought me out of the woodwork.

Long story short, I'm printing a tour poster where the basic premise is that it's a two-sided print using the same images on both sides of the stock (one is all text, the other is a series of symbols, or codec). On one side, the text is printed black, while the codec is overprinted with spot gloss. On the flip-side, the codec is printed black, while the text is printed with spot-gloss.

Per some recommendations that I found via the forums, I settled on giving Nazdar's 59135 Clear Spot Gloss Enamel a try as well as purchasing the corresponding 59111 Black to to go with it. That said, I also found some information about the 59135 Spot Gloss, when printed directly onto uncoated stock, it sinks into the paper and becomes matte. Makes sense. However, I'm printing the gloss directly on to white 100lb Cougar stock and want it to be as hi-gloss as possible in order to make it visible. Additionally, I'm looking to avoid having areas that are glossy where the gloss overprints the black and matte where it does not.

So, my thought was to seal the paper with transparent extender base, both to give the spot gloss something to sit on as well as to help with some tight text registration of the tour dates / cities. However, I'm a little concerned about the interaction between the solvent based enamels and the WB transparent base. I called a Nazdar technician and asked, and he explained that enamels aren't typically aggressive solvents, so it MIGHT work, but couldn't say for sure.

Thoughts on this? Thanks!

Comments

Should work, I've printed solvent over WB plenty of times before with no trouble. Try to reverse that though, WB over solvent, and let the issues begin!

Premium Member

Comments

what he said. Enamel will stick to almost anything and not react. You want it really glossy, run it, dry it, leave your screen in place, run it again with 2 or more coats.

But that enamel shit takes forever to dry
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Premium Member

Comments

Awesome, that's reassuring. I'll get going on this this weekend. Thanks for the input!