Gig Posters

Posters: 155580 | Bands: 135513 | Designers: 11505                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Premium Member

Comments

Default Pre-glued / coated 12" jackets

Hey there, I'm looking into printing 300 12" jackets for a friends' upcoming label release and had a couple questions about printing on pre-glued, coated jackets. I've stumbled across a few threads on the forums discussing this topic and have seen see varying opinions as to whether or not the ink will scratch off or not.

In an ideal world, I'm trying to convince him to re-order unglued, uncoated jackets from Dorado, but he's on a fairly tight timeline and may or may not go for this. In the event that he does not, does anyone have any experience as to the right ink choice for printing on glossy / coated jackets? Is a solvent based ink the right choice?

Also, is it necessary to make a cardboard sleeve to keep the top flap from flexing to much, or will a vacuum table be enough to hold it?

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

TW Graphics 1000 series with the addition of 5 to 10% of WB-1824 Activator by weight to improve chemical resistance and adhesion.
    http://www.twgraphics.com/NEW%20WEB%...000_Series.pdf

The amount of "flop" you experience when is dependent on the coverage of the graphic. If it's full bleed then you will most likely need a flap insert.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

If your friend is on such a tight timeline that he'd rather have his label's release look like a piece if amateurish bullshit than wait an additional week or two so you can print on unglued flats, then printing on prefab sleeves is a great idea.

Printing on prefabbed sleeves is just extremely limiting in terms of the quality and appeal of the finished product. If this is for a noise band or crust punk band then go for it...otherwise try very hard to convince him otherwise because saving money and time in this manner will be a disservice to the band.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by crosshair View Post
    Printing on prefabbed sleeves is just extremely limiting in terms of the quality and appeal of the finished product. If this is for a noise band or crust punk band then go for it...otherwise try very hard to convince him otherwise because saving money and time in this manner will be a disservice to the band.
    I've printed on glued sleeves. I had a cardboard jig for it. But I made the artwork not requiring any tight registration. it was for a doom band.

But it worked for what I was doing. I would of rather had unglued flat sleeves.