Gig Posters

Posters: 155198 | Bands: 135211 | Designers: 11481                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Question Tea stained prints

First off, this will be my first post, so hi everyone!
    Just started printing posters, but i work full time in a screen print shop, so its not completely new to me.

I've got a print I want to do on tea or coffee stained paper, but I'm not sure if i should be staining before or after Ive printed my run. I tested on an old print to see if the the staining process would hurt the ink. Its hard to tell if its made the edges fuzzy or if that's just me.
    Wondering if any one here has tried this before.

Premium Member

Comments

i've never done it, but a friend of mine has done prints where he splashes coffee on them after they've been printed. i think he uses speedball acrylics. anyways, i've never seen any issues with the ink getting fuzzy, but again, he's just splashing it on the paper, not soaking the whole sheet. also, i would think if you're going to do it before printing, you might have an issue with registration, since the paper might warp differently sheet to sheet. there's probably ways around that issue, though.

Premium Member

Comments

I imagine your results would look different depending on pre- or post-print staining (crisp printed colors or stained....). I have printed on 'ancient' manilla folders that where had writing on them, stamps, stains and were warped. I put them in a book press overnight and taped off all the vacuum holes on the table that were outside of the print-sheet area.

Premium Member

Comments

i've done it a couple of times, really pretty stressful, but if your careful and have access to a heat press you can end up with awesome results. i printed prior to the staining process because i wanted the ink to look a bit more organic, but i was also using a only dark inks, not positive how light ink would react, but i'm sure it wouldn't effect it too much. you can't really see it here, but i definitely soaked them in tea. Moon Light Speed

Comments

Here a print I did staining the paper, printing a clear, staining the paper, printing a clear, staining the paper again. Kinda a batik like process.
    Editions : Forth Estate

Comments

So Luther, that piece was printed on 640gsm paper. Was that paper chosen for stability purposes with all the clearing and staining happening?

Comments

yup thats right