Gig Posters

Posters: 155198 | Bands: 135238 | Designers: 11484                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Premium Member

Comments

Default Screenprinting Noob. Is this a good deal?

Hello, I've been making posters for my local scene for a few years now and wanted to finally take the plunge into screenprinting posters and shirts for my own band. I came across this and wanted to know if you guys thought it may be a good deal? Thanks.

DIY Gig Poster Screen Printing Kit | ScreenPrinting.com by Ryonet

Comments

I'm new around here, but here are some observations:

1) You can build a better and larger vacuum table for less than a quarter of the price.
    2) With the remaining money, you can probably buy a higher quantity/better quality supplies.
    3) The information on the video/manual can be found on YouTube and on Gigposters, which you can access in the forums and more since you're a premium member.
    4) Halogen lamps can be bought at the local hardware store for $15-20.
    5) A nice aluminum screen will set you back around $30.
    6) In this kit, you only get one qt of ink. Ink prices vary depending on brand (from $20 a qt for Speedball to $25 a qt for Jacquard to $50+ a qt for TW Graphics, etc. etc. etc.).
    7) Chemical and emulsion prices vary.
    8} Squeegee and scoop prices vary and are relatively negligible.

A "good deal" is part subjectivity, part mathematics. Perhaps it is a good deal if you don't have the time or desire to build a vac table and source out the supplies individually. Perhaps it is a good deal if you don't want to do research and buy supplies individually. Perhaps it is a good deal if this is just for the occasional shirt/poster. Perhaps it is a good deal if the headache/time required to build and do research is not worth it to you.

It is my sense that you'll end up making a vac table for the posters anyway if you get into it more. If you have the time and resources, grab some beer, have fun building a vac table with some friends, and save some cash in the long term.

Comments

It's just ok imo. If your handy you can make better follow the various DIY threads here. But if you're not handy then this is an ok jumping point.

Premium Member

Comments

thanks guys, i was looking through some of the plans in this forum, i feel like i could probably build most of this stuff myself, gonna go to the hardware store this weekend! thanks again.

Comments

Ryonet prices are higher by 20-30% compared to my local-ish mail order supply company (Pocono Screen Printing). But they have a somewhat smaller collection of inks. I just ordered 2 screens and other minor items and Ryonet was $12 more, $25 when you count shipping, plus anything I order gets here next day from Pocono if they have the order by noon-ish. For that kit, I would shop around and definitely look up Craigslist for a press, or simply build one ($30-40 tops).

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

But it's the 'Offical' gigposter kit

Comments

Keep us informed of your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by regularjohndesign View Post
    thanks guys, i was looking through some of the plans in this forum, i feel like i could probably build most of this stuff myself, gonna go to the hardware store this weekend! thanks again.

Even though everyone seems to be bashing it (a little) I'll go head and admit that I own this kit.

and one big determining factor was the size. I needed something that could move with me easily, since I have no idea how long i may be staying at my currant place. Im also the opposite of handy, and 'll also admit to being afraid of building something. I'm sure it wouldnt have been nearly as had as im thinking. but too late now.
    I haven't used it much, but I do like it so far. The screen has a great tension, but it is new. Icat say how long it will last, but it does look like it should last quite some time. everything is kinda small as far as normal poster standards are concerned, but for me, i can only afford to do small prints at the moment anyway. It can also easily be used to do one color t-shirts and patches, making it a little more versatile than a large vac table. I like the degreaser so far (smells great) but i doubt I'll be buying more of it when ive used it all, due to the price. But i might, its highly concentrated and a gallon would last quite some time. Everything is pretty standard issue.
    Thas all I can think of to comment on it really. When I've done posters longer (and when I hae more space) I'm likely to build a table. But as far as i can tell, so far, this was a great jumping point for me personally.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Aria Siaosi View Post
    Even though everyone seems to be bashing it (a little) I'll go head and admit that I own this kit.

and one big determining factor was the size. I needed something that could move with me easily, since I have no idea how long i may be staying at my currant place. Im also the opposite of handy, and 'll also admit to being afraid of building something. I'm sure it wouldnt have been nearly as had as im thinking. but too late now.
    I haven't used it much, but I do like it so far. The screen has a great tension, but it is new. Icat say how long it will last, but it does look like it should last quite some time. everything is kinda small as far as normal poster standards are concerned, but for me, i can only afford to do small prints at the moment anyway. It can also easily be used to do one color t-shirts and patches, making it a little more versatile than a large vac table. I like the degreaser so far (smells great) but i doubt I'll be buying more of it when ive used it all, due to the price. But i might, its highly concentrated and a gallon would last quite some time. Everything is pretty standard issue.
    Thas all I can think of to comment on it really. When I've done posters longer (and when I hae more space) I'm likely to build a table. But as far as i can tell, so far, this was a great jumping point for me personally.
    Some good bits here. Everything is contextual.

Premium Member

Comments

started building this past weekend!