Gig Posters

Posters: 155580 | Bands: 135505 | Designers: 11505                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Comments

Default TW Graphics Inks - Gloss vs. Matte (images of the difference?)

Hi, all.

I was curious if anyone could post an image of how the two TW Graphics inks (5000 and 5500) look, preferably side by side or both inks on the same work. I cannot seem to find images of the two on the TW website. A Google image search doesn't yield definitive results.

I especially want to know how glossy the gloss is, and how they behave together.

Thanks,
    J

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

LCD screens don't really render matte or gloss, so images demonstrating the difference are difficult to find.

The 5000 gloss is not high gloss; more of a satin. Bear in mind also that when printed as a first layer directly on the paper, it sinks in somewhat and the result is pretty matte...you need to print an underbase or print on coated stock to get the gloss effect using the gloss ink. Traps will flash if not underbased.

You can also use gloss overprint clear on top for a gloss effect, though the same caution above applies. Any areas of bare paper will look decidedly less gloss than neighboring areas where the varnish covers areas that have been 'sealed' by ink.

You can definitely tell the difference between 5000 and 5500 side by side. I once ruined a print by mixing in 5000 transparent base when I ran out of 5500...the result was a pretty unsubtle difference in texture. Now I wouldn't use them together unless I was really planning on a gloss 'effect'.

I nearly always use the 5500 (flat) inks. They have a very nice finish...matte, but not chalky like Speedball, and much more resistant to scratching. They don't fully air-cure to the final surface quality for several hours, though you can safely stack and move on to your next color after an hour or so in most conditions.

The 2 inks definitely look different to the initiated eye, though, as crosshair noted, the difference would be very hard to capture in a photograph.

One thing I'd add is that I switched entirely from 5500 to 5000 because I found the 5000 easier to print, especially in dry, winter time. The 5000 series, in my experience, has a longer open time, especially the "Halftone Extender Base"
    Last edited by Shore A; 01-08-2014 at 04:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Premium Member

Comments

I have been messing around with using the TW clear gloss to create spot gloss effects and also messing around with alot of 5500 flat extender base to get very subtle transparent layers. I noticed that even when I use the 5500 if it overprints I can get an undesired gloss effect. Has anyone tried the flattening powder that TW offers and how much is needed to avoid flashing when over printing?

Premium Member
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by WEINBERG View Post
    I have been messing around with using the TW clear gloss to create spot gloss effects and also messing around with alot of 5500 flat extender base to get very subtle transparent layers. I noticed that even when I use the 5500 if it overprints I can get an undesired gloss effect. Has anyone tried the flattening powder that TW offers and how much is needed to avoid flashing when over printing?
    I get both the gloss from TW and Nazdar (2700) (nazdar has about 2x as much gloss as TW) and add a generic flattening powder to it to kill the gloss. It will totally flatten the ink. Not sure if the TW is a 'paste' but if it isn't (Nazdar's is) then just add some water to it to dissolve the powder . . . i maybe mix a table spoon w/ water into a half-full quart . . give or take, I'm not a scientist.
    POSTER & STICKERS SCREEN PRINTING IN CANADA
    http://www.ironcladgraphics.com

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Fools Gold View Post
    I get both the gloss from TW and Nazdar (2700) (nazdar has about 2x as much gloss as TW) and add a generic flattening powder to it to kill the gloss. It will totally flatten the ink. Not sure if the TW is a 'paste' but if it isn't (Nazdar's is) then just add some water to it to dissolve the powder . . . i maybe mix a table spoon w/ water into a half-full quart . . give or take, I'm not a scientist.
    Do you use the Nazdar 2700 WB on vinyl (stickers) as well? I'm looking to ditch the solvent-based stuff completely, but not sure if waterbased will suffice for vinyl long term (even with a clear coat)?