Gig Posters

Posters: 155619 | Bands: 135529 | Designers: 11506                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Comments

Default Macbook Pro finally crapped out. Any replacement suggestions?

My 2008 Macbook Pro died last night. Well....let me rephrase...the graphics card died. It's a known issue with the 2008 Macbooks that qualified for free repair if it happened within 4 years of the issue being acknowledged by Apple...unfortunately mine didn't develop the problem until last night...one year too late.

So I can repair a five year old Macbook to the tune of over $500, I can drop $3000 on a new Macbook Pro, or I can look for a PC alternative.

I haven't looked at PC's is sooooo long though. I have no idea where to start. Anyone have a suggestion for a comparable PC laptop for graphic design/screen print prep work?

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

I've been happy with my Toshiba PC laptops. Currently using a Satellite P500 with a 17" screen and a solid state C drive. It's fast as shit. My only gripe is the weight but that's to be expected with the wide screen.

Plus you will get the free bonus of laughing when all the Apple freaks clutch their pearls and fan themselves over your Falling Off The Edge.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Check with local repair shops as opposed going direct to Apple. When I had to replace my MPB screen Apple quoted me $1000 but the nerds across the street did it for $300.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by crosshair View Post
    I've been happy with my Toshiba PC laptops. Currently using a Satellite P500 with a 17" screen and a solid state C drive. It's fast as shit. My only gripe is the weight but that's to be expected with the wide screen.

Plus you will get the free bonus of laughing when all the Apple freaks clutch their pearls and fan themselves over your Falling Off The Edge.
    Haha. Perfect visual! I love Apple products myself, I just can't justify the price anymore. I HATE Windows 8...but could probably force myself to get used to it. An extra $1500 just for OSX....yeah, I'll get used to Windows 8. Hah. Thanks for the input, I'll check out the Toshiba Satellite series. If it's good enough for Crosshair, it's good enough for me!

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by lil_tuffy View Post
    Check with local repair shops as opposed going direct to Apple. When I had to replace my MPB screen Apple quoted me $1000 but the nerds across the street did it for $300.
    Oh yeah, definitely! I've only brought things to Apple when they were still under warranty. There are a couple decent repair shops here that service Apple products. I'll definitely be taking it to them to get a quote on fixing it. But even if I do get it fixed I need to start thinking about a replacement anyway...it's not getting any younger.

Comments
    Items for Sale

You can still find plenty of decent PCs with Windows 7, which I've been pretty happy with. discontinued and refurbished stuff. I've bought two pretty nicely spec'ed HP Win7 laptops direct from HP in the past year.

Premium Member

Comments

If Windows 8 isn't your bag (and it shouldn't be, it's awful), there's a fair number of computers that you can downgrade to Win7 for free. Check it.

Also, I'm generally a fan of Apple in most all things, but I'm posting this from my workhorse which is a 17" Toshiba Satellite I got in 2009 for less than a grand. Worth the money. Apple has pushed out of the specialty market they used to occupy and in to the general use computer/status symbol market. That's great for them, it really is, but I can't justify paying what they want for a computer when I can get one that runs just as well for half the cost.

That being said, I will be building myself a hackintosh in the coming year, so I'll let you know how that goes.

Premium Member

Comments

Same exact thing just happened to me on my late 2007 model Macbook Pro. I sent mine in to that PowerBook Medic place and had it back with a new logic board within a week for about $350. I guess those graphics cards ran hot and fucked the logic board. I normally wouldn't have fixed an older machine but didn't have the loot at the time to spring for a brand new laptop. Apple wanted way more for the fix even though it was a known issue. I yelled at people. Overall I think it was worth it even if it only lasts another couple of years.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

I'm still running Win7 which I like. I figure by the time I need another machine they'll be out with the Windows 8.5 Whoops Sorry Edition.
    Crosshair pushing here until its limit the bringing together.

www.crosshairchicago.com

"Every single Crosshair poster I've ever seen is almost exactly the same. Do these guys even have a bit of creativity in them? I mean, come one - shitty old building pics photoshopped with text over them. Pretty pathetic to say the least."

"it just seems like so little effort is put into creating this? am i missing something?"

Comments

Thanks for the input everybody! It turns out a friend of mine had the same computer with the same problem as mine and replaced his Logic Board himself. He's going to help me do the same. I ended up ordering a Toshiba Satellite P70 anyway though. Even if I get my MacBook Pro back up and running it's still getting pretty old and isn't going to last forever. I know I'm not going to spring for a new Mac when it dies completely, so I figure if I can get my Mac back up and running I should start re-learning the PC nonsense now anyway so its not a huge ordeal later on.