Gig Posters

Posters: 154337 | Bands: 134516 | Designers: 11431                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Premium Member
    Comments

Default Is this a Good Place to buy Screen Equipment ?

I'm lucky enough to live near this place called HGR here in beautiful Cleveland, OH. They often have screen printing equipment for sale. However the prices always seem so low compared to any other place I see. I'd be interested in what you guys think of it. They have a 30 day return policy so I can buy, try out, and then return something if I don't like it.

I think someday I'll want to buy a press that's semi automated as my body seems to be breaking down, and they have a few at this place. They don't service them. They are sold as is. Here's a sample:

This one seems decent:
    AMERICAN SCREEN PRINTER | HGR Industrial Surplus

this one must be crap. it's $500
    M & M RESEARCH SCREEN PRINTER | HGR Industrial Surplus

They have good deals on drying racks for those interested. Every few months they get some in it seems. I just got a nice 50 shelf rack - the heavy duty kind with springs - for $80. It's in great shape. Of course it weighs 400 pounds.

They also have sweet deals on blueprint file cabinets. I'm going to buy this one I think. $70 for the nice metal ones.

BLUEPRINT CABINET | HGR Industrial Surplus

I thought it was worth mentioning since these prices seem so low some of you might consider buying and shipping. I'd love to hear if any of you think either of those presses are worth looking at. I don't need a machine at the moment, but maybe down the road. I'd like to start learning about them way before I consider purchasing and these are a 10 minute drive from my studio. They'll let you plug equipment in to test.

Comments

You take a chance if you buy from a firm like this but you might get lucky. The chance taken rests on whether the machine was maintained properly during it's former production life. If you buy an old press from the manufacturer then they have taken the time, usually, to clean it up and getting it running like new. Still $500 for a press is a steal. While it can be impossible to find OEM parts for these old beasts you can often substitute part that are similar from the like of Grainger, M&R and AWT. Take note though if you are buying a European model. European parts can be trickier to find also some older European presses have a AC/DC converter built into them for the american market and these can be tricky to deal with if let's say a DC motor goes out and all you can find to substitute is an AC motor.

Premium Member
    Comments

I'll check it out. I may be able to get a friend of mine that knows more about these to come with me. Thanks for the advice.

Premium Member

Comments

See if you can go and plug the machines in and run them. if they cycle and seem to run without grinding or shuddering, table isn't destroyed, and all controls work, there are no obvious welds or broken bits....then they might be good entry level presses.

the Cameo is small size (the table is not the print area) and the other is pretty big. both those presses, AWT carry parts i think. Good luck dealing with them though (AWT)
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

If printing puts food on the table, no, I would not spend money on a unit that is not tested before purchase. If you are more of a part time printer I would make sure the basics are good (flat table, no worn bushings, holds registration etc). You can do a lot with current hobby microprocessors like RasberryPi and arduino.. to replace older dedicated ICs/PLCs. You might be even able to use is in manual mode till the electronics get sorted out.