Gig Posters

Posters: 156388 | Bands: 135997 | Designers: 11551                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Premium Member

Comments

Default DIY Gobo/Show Lighting

I'm in the midst of staging a photography show at my house. The original plan was to hang lamp bulbs from the ceiling and coat the back half of the bulb with heat resistant spray paint. I put together a prototype that looks fucking perfect, BUT there is a problem. It stinks. It stinks real bad. I had the bulb burning off the fumes for hours and hours and it still stinks.

So, that idea is dead and now I'm in a panic.

I've got a week to come up with some sort of shade / directional lighting for these hanging bulbs. Anyone out there in GP land have any ideas?
    "I find it funny that this other dude is going to be quoting writings that are over two thousand years old and Robbie is going to be quoting gigposters.com." - allenboe

MrBlonde7: Ahh, arguing the finer points of semen coverage. 2007-12-05 12:11:25

Comments

how many lights are we talking about here? Their purpose is to replace gallery style spots?

Premium Member

Comments

Yeah, that's the purpose.
    I have three in the entrance, 6 in the front room and 7 in the back.
    Last night we were talking about rigging something up with foil lined 8" shipping tubes.
    "I find it funny that this other dude is going to be quoting writings that are over two thousand years old and Robbie is going to be quoting gigposters.com." - allenboe

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by JukeboxCriminal View Post
    Last night we were talking about rigging something up with foil lined 8" shipping tubes.
    Coffee cans would be safer. But why not just go and get some cheap reflectors from home depot or your local hardware store.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercia...3PDQ/100354517

or for $10 more make something that looks nice and is ready for your next event.
    NSI / Leviton Par 38 (Polished) (120VAC) PAR384010CR B&H Photo

Premium Member

Comments

I ended up going to Home Depot and grabbing a 8' foot long, 6" sono tube for $8. Spray painted the thing black with heat resistant paint and then divided it up into 6" long sections. Cut open slots on one side for the width of each picture. Then punctured some holes and ran a couple of steel wires through the middle to sit on the light fixture. Some of them hung a little crooked so I fixed them into place with a small hook made out of a bent coat hanger.

It turned out pretty decent for being a last minute, panic job . I managed to wire, hang and shade 16 lamps for just over $100.

I'll post some pictures of the set up soon.