Gig Posters

Posters: 155198 | Bands: 135238 | Designers: 11484                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Premium Member

Comments

Default ink related beginner questions

Sorry in advance for all the questons..

I've just started to learn screen printing and am using regular acrylic paint (liquitex) with a screen printing medium. I've noticed I get a lot more blending of colors than I expected - which is cool but sometimes I don't want it. I'm sure I've seen printing of lights on darks that don't blend at all. Or am I wrong?
    I tried using pure acrylic and still got quite a bit of mixing between then colours. I've read people use a base coat, but I wasn't sure what. Can somebody recommend a product?The paper I'm printing on is pretty cheap just for testing, maybe 150gsm, I assume this is also a factor. Also forgot that the acrylic would dry really fast and now is stuck in the screen. Any tips for washing it out?

I'm living in a shared space at the moment with no room for burning screens, so I've just started out making hand cut stencils. Any recommendations for getting a good result? It's worked pretty well so far. I'm using regular printing paper for the stencils. Anyone tried a thinner paper? One issue is a slight darkening of the very edges from buildup of ink because of the height of the paper.

Any advice on anything would be great, thanks!

Comments

Print light to dark not the opposite. There's probably no good reason to print fully on top of other colors if you aren't trying to get a tertiary color. Use fantastic and scrub from both sides of the screen at the same time to get the dried ink out better.

Premium Member
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by squeegeethree View Post
    Use fantastic and scrub from both sides of the screen at the same time to get the dried ink out better.
    This is good advice! Thank you squeegeethree.