Gig Posters

Posters: 154331 | Bands: 134495 | Designers: 11429                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Premium Member

Comments

Default About selling at the bands merch table

A certain band asked the local venue promoter if they can find an artist to create posters for the show, the owner called me and offered the following:

10% goes to the venue and then the rest gets split 50/50 with the band. They're not a terribly popular band but they have a large following. He expects 800 ppl to show up. The band and the venue promoter loved the design. I offered 50 limited edition prints (not a lot but it's just me making everything). Normally I would be at the concert to oversee the merch flow at a distance but unfortunately I will be out of town. Should I draft up a contract? Ask the venue promoter to hold the cash for me? Would love any suggestion so I don't get burned. Also, said venue is a huge corporation with many concert theaters around the world.

tl;dr
    How can I ensure my cut of the merch sales profit when I won't be there when the band plays and leaves town. I only have an agreement via email through the venue promoter.

Thank you for your wisdom
    Illustrator/Designer/Art Director

theconstruct.info

my shop
    @theconstruct

Comments

How much are you going to be selling them for?

Premium Member

Comments

Don't trust a venue or promoter about anything ever, and especially not about money.

Don't trust the band either. Not that they'd fuck you deliberately but bands tend to have other things on their minds than your poster, and keeping track of what merch item sells how many copies and who is due money.

You should have someone there on the spot, sitting at the merch table and selling the posters. Handle the cash split at the end of the night, and then you're done and everyone's happy. If you can't be there then somebody you know needs to be there as your representative, taking care of it. That's really the only way this sort of arrangement works out, contract or no contract.

Premium Member

Comments

$20 is what I suggested. Typical price. I'm sure this isn't set in stone. The design is finished but no prints yet.

That's what I was afraid of, I will get someone to represent me.
    Illustrator/Designer/Art Director

theconstruct.info

my shop
    @theconstruct

Comments

Crosshairs is right. If you sell them out your take is $450 and you can be sure that the venue and band can't be trusted with that.

Premium Member

Comments

good answers here. i'd only trust certain venues here in seattle because the managers and or production manager are my friends.
    don't trust strangers. ever.
    +++++ POWERSLIDE DESIGN CO. +++++ facebook +++++ aka: mike klay

Comments

I often have someone sell them for me. Sometimes I cant get there, or its out of town.
    I give him a cut from the sales, a poster, and a free gig. win win.

Comments
    Items for Sale

Yeah, get someone to go there for you, do not trust the band or the venue to keep track. I've worked with both ridiculously organized bands and ridiculously disorganized bands in terms of merch tables, and I wouldn't even trust one of the organized bands to make sure I get my money later.

Premium Member
    Comments

even if i trust the venue/band i still prefer to handle stuff myself simply because it's my deal and i don't wanna get screwed and also don't want anyone to have to do my dirty work. if i can't make it, i will "hire" a friend with getting them in free +1, a copy of the print and a few beer bucks/free beers.

Comments

Another "What crosshair said." all the way.

If I could not be there myself for this set up, I'd hire a good friend. And if I couldn't schedule one to cover, then I'd walk away on this one and say sorry but I'm all in next time.

There are just too many moving parts by too many entities on a show night for this to work out magically for you without a solid person 100% on your side.