Gig Posters

Posters: 156255 | Bands: 135947 | Designers: 11547                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Premium Member
    Comments

Default Movie One Sheets

I have a customer who is requesting an estimate for a handful of posters. They are all 18x24 "one sheets" for movies ranging from the early 80's to movies that came out within the last year. What are the legal issues involved with printing things like this? Is there a number of prints that it becomes an issue or is it smart to not print these without proper licensing or permission? Would there be any repercussions with printing something like 25 posters? I dont want to be printing something that may come around and bite me in the butt.

Comments

You need to get it in writing, legal writing, and signed that your customer had cleared all copyright and trademarks and that it's their legal responsibility in case of any ramifications.

Premium Member
    Comments

Thats what I was thinking. Put all the responsibility on them. Thanks for the input.

Premium Member
    Comments

The person is saying now that they mostly do old movies which are not public domain. He says no one owns the rights to them anymore. Does that actually mean that it is legal to print posters of these old films?

Comments

I think you mean ARE public domain. Which I would be very surprised at for old movies unless they are silent films. If so then they should have no issue with signing the paperwork you need.

Premium Member
    Comments

Yes, I am sorry, I meant they are public domain. You are saying that you would be very surprised if they are public domain?

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Whether or not they are public domain as they assert (doubtful) is irrelevant to you. If they are unwilling to assume full responsibility in writing as you ask, that should be a deal breaker.
    End
    Of
    Story