Gig Posters

Posters: 155580 | Bands: 135526 | Designers: 11506                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Premium Member

Comments

Lightbulb Glow In The Dark Inks & White

I've got some artwork I'm wanting to print for album covers for a client that's a very light pink (mostly white base mixture). I'm wondering if I can mix an 8oz. Glow-In-The-Dark Acrylic to it to give the pink some of that "glow" quality. Has anyone else experimented with this at all? All inks used are Acrylic WB...

Not sure if this has been asked yet, but couldn't find anything in the forums.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

mixing will kill the glow factor

Premium Member

Comments

I'd add a couple of dabs of fluorescent pink. the "day-glow" stuff. works for me.

Comments

White will definitely kill the glow. Fluorescents are kind of transparent by nature. They do make different glow in the dark colors.
    Glow in the Dark Powder
    Not sure why but they say they aren't compatible with WB mediums.

Premium Member

Comments

Thanks, we actually ran the color last night and experimented with it a slight bit. You were right it didn't work. We ended up just printing our first color and then left the registration up and cleaned out the locked in screen then printed the glow-in-the-dark ink over top. It printed pretty clear for the most part, added a slight yellowish tint to the first color but it was supposed to look a little sickly, so no worries there... the weird thing is that it does glow... but I not very brightly. I feel like it's probably illuminated at 20-30% what it should be.. we didn't add anything to it just printed it over our first color (very light pink). Anybody have any idea why it would be popping or very bright? I've been theorizing maybe our stencil needed to be thicker to lay a thicker layer? Does the glow-in-the-dark ink need to be stored out of light until it's printed (like a de-charging sort of thing)?
    ~ "Always whole-hearted, never half-assed."

Site: www.halfhazardpress.com
    Posters: 1/2 Hazard Press | Online Store

Comments

What mesh did you use? You need a thick deposit with an open mesh. Also you probably may not have had enough GID powder in the base. We add so much that it looks like we're printing sand.

Premium Member

Comments

I've had great success with mixing the Speedball white and GID ink at 50/50 percentage and it worked well for me.
    Last edited by rochambo; 10-24-2013 at 09:55 AM. Reason: too much vodka

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by rochambo View Post
    I've had great success with mixing the Speedball white and GID ink at 50/50 percentage and it worked well for me.
    Just imagine how much better it would have been if you used clear instead of white.

Premium Member

Comments

Yeah, but I wanted the part of the image that glowed to be white in regular daylight and not that mucus color that the GID is.