Gig Posters

Posters: 156080 | Bands: 135806 | Designers: 11531                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Premium Member

Comments

Default Troubleshooting ink buildup on screen

Hi everyone,

I'll get right to it. Printing a 18x24 on a aluminum 23x31 screen (230 Mesh). Using a 18" 70 Durometer aluminum handled squeegee. DIY setup. Nothing fancy.

Although most of the print came out fine, this upper right corner kept giving me trouble. I tried pushing it through with no flood, still looked like the ink doubled up. Tried using wet rag to wipe, tried again with no flood and with two strokes 1 flood. All kinds of combinations but it still kept bunching up. During the tests with newsprint, the paper stuck to the screen giving it that "kiss" look. Though some other parts had this same issue, they printed fine after pushing ink trough. I adjusted stroke speed and angle as well, still happened. Some were fuzzy blurry and some doubled up on the ink. Can anyone give me some theories?

(3 images below of the different results)

Thank you for taking the time
    Illustrator/Designer/Art Director

theconstruct.info

my shop
    @theconstruct

Premium Member

Comments

are you using a vacuum table, or any type of adhesive to keep paper to your printing table?

Premium Member

Comments

your image is way too big for your squeegee and your screen.

Vac table will help.

on an 23x31 screen, you can print a 13 x20 sheet, with a slightly smaller image pretty easy. If you are really experienced, you can go a bit bigger. if not, you will get this problem, and soon rip the mesh from the screen.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

1. Paper not staying down on the bed (lack of vacuum or glue tack) and or paper moving.
    2. Too thick a flood.
    3. Screen moving while printing.
    4. Ink too loose.
    5. Mesh too loose.
    6. Too hard of print pressure and/or angle too great.
    7. Too slow of print speed. Too slow of flood speed.
    8. Squeegee not sharp or hard enough.
    9. Not enough off-contact.
    10. Print area too close too edges of screen frame.

All of these can cause what your are experiencing.

Premium Member

Comments

Thanks guys. I agree with everything. I also think the small detail and the thick ink didn't help the second color (which would've covered what I posted earlier. I turned the screen around to see if the angle worked and it mostly did but had another issue with the small lettering. I tried doing testing with newsprint and it came out great after a few pulls. But then when the good paper was in place, they came out like this:

Here's the final:

This is my 5th time screenprinting and I know I need a lot more experience as I'm doing all these solo. Also, I'm afraid that hanging them up to dry after every pull only works against me due to the ink drying on the mesh. I live in Las Vegas and the air is very dry here. I'm just being to damn ambitious with my variables. Large/Opaque inks/crazy detailed designs. In case you're wondering, I get the screens burnt by my supplier and they've all been crazy good. I do need a bigger screen if I'm to do something like this again. Or leave it to the professionals.

Thanks for all your insight. I try to read as much as possible throughout these forums and I just couldn't wrap my head around this.
    Illustrator/Designer/Art Director

theconstruct.info

my shop
    @theconstruct