Gig Posters

Posters: 154807 | Bands: 134842 | Designers: 11466                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comments

Default Backlit washout booth advice?

We have a pretty badass washout booth in progress (pics to come later) and we ran into a bit of a snag. The space it's in plus the inability to move it after plumbing it makes it so we can't get behind it to change bulbs if they burn out.

Initially we were going to mount fluorescent ballasts on the wall behind it but the work around I'm thinking of is hanging some bright bulbs at different heights from a pulley/hook on the ceiling similar to this:

hanging light bulbs

That would allow us to pull the bulb cables up over the backsplash and change bulbs when necessary. Additionally, the backsplash will be frosted plexiglass so I'm assuming the light will be diffused/spread relatively easily...

Anyone have any experience using individual bulbs like this or comments or advice or a reason just to tell me I'm dumb and it won't work?

Thanks in advance!

C-

Premium Member

Comments

You're dumb and it might work

Why not make the plex removable?

A couple of screws, some putty to seal it
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

You could add some tracking / guides / rollers to the back panel that the lights are mounted to so you can pull it out. That way the plexi is mounted and can stay sealed then you can slide out the light fixtures.

Comments

Or dont bother. We haven't turned on our backlit washout light in years. If you need a back-light to see if you've developed properly then you really have other issues to overcome and spotting pinholes and other flaws not part of the developing process is easier when the screen is dry and a backlit sink isn't really strong enough imo.

Premium Member

Comments

I like it for washout/reclaim to see the really small things that get stuck in the screen sometimes. I wish mine was lower or I made a buildup to hold the screens up.
    Andymac

Todo es empezar.

Premium Member

Comments

You don't care, but I had a happy accident the other day/week/month on this topic. My booth is gray plastic and when I was washing out a "screen", for a better viewing angle, I turned the booth (on "wheels") and when the closed back faced the "sun"...instant backlight. Works great and the grey plastic filters enough "sunlight" that it isn't being further "exposed and such" during washout. Obviously I am not washing out stencils facing the sun, but when the design is good and well washing out, turning the back of the booth to the broad door full of sunlight (moonlight is not effective in this endeavor) it is very well illuminated.

End transmission.

Comments

Hey all,

Thanks for the input!

From what I can gather is Andy still thinks I'm dumb, a complicated track system could work, there is a possibility of making the back open but individual bulbs could work out fine.

I'm not a huge user of backlit washout booths but when it's around, I use it; if not anything else, to simply keep from water running down my arms into my shirt when holding the screen up to the light...

Sunlight would be rad if I could just get a mini sun... checked ebay and can't find one.

Solution seems like a reflective surface behind a few lights to spread the light out more evenly and having a track/pulley type system to pull the lights up over the top. I'm wary of not keeping the sink sealed as there are a few electrical boxes behind that I'd like to keep as dry as possible.

Guy... you actually get sun!? Is your shop through some Narnia portal to a part of PDX that gets sun more often than the rest?

Thanks again! If it doesn't work, at least posting made me realize my premium membership expired... time to re-up!

c-

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    I'm not a huge user of backlit washout booths but when it's around, I use it; if not anything else, to simply keep from water running down my arms into my shirt when holding the screen up to the light...

c-
    We keep a window wash squeegee where we reclaim and develop screens. A quick pass on both sides with the squeegee and not only will you not have water drip down your arm but your drying time will be cut down in half.

Premium Member

Comments

Bonus - earn extra money at the traffic light around the corner.
    Andymac

Todo es empezar.

Premium Member

Comments

you should cut a hole in the wall behind it and build a complicated secret passage to access the back of the washout and have the lights on rotating ballasts to easily change the bulbs.