Gig Posters

Posters: 156383 | Bands: 135985 | Designers: 11550                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Comments

Alright so I've finished with my home exposure unit. I'm using 8 48" unfiltered uv bulbs that are about 5" from the 1/4" tempered glass.

I have switched to using photocure pro since my block printing with the rlx was breaking down like crazy.

My problem is I have no idea where to start a step test in exposing my screens.

I've heard that the uv bulbs will expose fast and i've also heard of people exposing the photocure pro for 10+ minutes.

Any idea on what a good time is to even start a step test would be great so i only use one screen and can get it on the first try.

Most of my runs will be smaller (50-100) with yellow mesh aluminum screens between 230-305 mesh for right now. I plan on coating the photocure pro with 1/1. If I should do 2/1 or 2/2 and it really will make a huge difference let me know. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Didn't want to make a whole new thread for this since people ask about exposing times all the time, but I just can't pin-point a time. So many people use different exposure set-ups it's hard to weed through everything.

Thanks.

Premium Member

Comments

do 10 steps at 30 sec ea.

that will give you 5 minutes. A uv tube unit should be less than 5 but that depends.......if it falls off, well, don't listen to people on the internet
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

Got it working. did the step test and had a great exposure at 3 minutes 30 seconds with the 1/1 photocure pro. now i've got another issue. lol. never stops. did a couple business card runs and immediately washed off the ink, the screens set for a day or so then when it came time to reclaim the screens the emulsion didn't come off. i sprayed them the first time on both sides and let sit for a minute or so and then washed with jet setting on a hose. sprayed them again and let the reclaimer sit for over 5 minutes. a little more came off but not much at all. when i was reclaiming the rlx emulsion it came off with ease. i'm using image mate 660 reclaimer. should i get the same brand reclaimer as the emulsion? now i'm pretty positive i just ruined $60 worth of aluminum screens and will need to get more before i can print anything else.

Comments

You let the emulsion remover sit? Did you accidentally let it dry on the screen as well? If you did then there is no getting the emulsion off now. Once emulsion remover dries on emulsion it becomes permanent.

Comments

no it didn't dry. i washed it off before it dried. i was told though if you reclaim the screen and there is emulsion left over then it won't ever come off. i'm not sure if its that i need a stronger emulsion remover.. maybe strip-e-doo from what i searched on the forums? does that work really well with photocure pro? or should i stick with the same brand that makes the emulsion?

Comments

I use CPS US Stencil Remover concentrate 1:30 and I haven't found an emulsion it won't take off.

Quote Originally Posted by shutterleftopen View Post
    Got it working. did the step test and had a great exposure at 3 minutes 30 seconds with the 1/1 photocure pro. now i've got another issue. lol. never stops. did a couple business card runs and immediately washed off the ink, the screens set for a day or so then when it came time to reclaim the screens the emulsion didn't come off. i sprayed them the first time on both sides and let sit for a minute or so and then washed with jet setting on a hose. sprayed them again and let the reclaimer sit for over 5 minutes. a little more came off but not much at all. when i was reclaiming the rlx emulsion it came off with ease. i'm using image mate 660 reclaimer. should i get the same brand reclaimer as the emulsion? now i'm pretty positive i just ruined $60 worth of aluminum screens and will need to get more before i can print anything else.
    If your having trouble reclaiming a dried emulsion screen, a power washer is what you need to use on it. If you do not have access to one you can go to the local do it yourself car wash and use theirs.

Bare in mind that if you do this, a power washer has the full capability of tearing a hole right through the screen. Never just point it at the screen and spray, the first blast is the one that has the most pressure. Start off by spraying the first blast at an area not on the screen and work it in from there. the optimum distance to keep the hose is 1 foot for a power washer like the one you buy at a hardware store(never buy a power washer from home depot, my bad). If you use one at a car wash you will probably need to start about 2.5 feet away and feel it out from there.

Even if you follow the directions there is still a possibility that the screen will get torn anyway, but if you feel that the screens already ruined, what have you got to lose.
    Last edited by coolx75; 11-11-2013 at 04:25 PM. Reason: mistake

Comments

There is no electric power washer sold at Home Depot that will rip your screen, even at point blank. They all are too weak. In 15 years of reclaiming screens I've only had a power washer rip a screen once and that's because there was already a hole there.

Comments
    Items for Sale

Also note that different car washes might have better power washers - it is literally cheaper and faster for me to get a Hertz on Demand car, drive my screens to the next neighborhood over and use that car wash, than to use the one closer to my house because the washer is just that much better AND cheaper.