Gig Posters

Posters: 155569 | Bands: 135488 | Designers: 11505                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Premium Member
    Comments

Default Building a drying cabinet, dehumidifier question

So I'm in the process of putting together a DIY basement shop. I've gotten tons of info from the forums here and Andy's book, but I have one question I can't find a definitive answer to. I'm designing a drying cabinet for coated screens, and I want to put a dehumidifier in to help speed it up. But where does the dehumidifier go? I've seen all kinds of variations, and they seem to break down into three options:
    1) Inside the cabinet, pulling air from outside and venting inside.
    2) Outside the cabinet, pulling air from inside and venting outside (which seems like nonsense to me, and has me thinking I misread something. Maybe it was really Option 1 and I misinterpreted what the guy was saying.)
    3) Inside the sealed cabinet, simply recycling inside air and drying as it goes.

Option 3 seems like the most sensible option, as it's dealing with a smaller volume of air and continuously getting it dryer. But I've never seen a working drying cabinet in action so I'm turning to you for help. Help!

(And before anyone goes there, I've signed up for Premium, but apparently it takes Paypal several days to process the payment, so it hasn't reflected in my status yet.)

Comments

The dehumidifier needs to be physically in the space it is dehumidifying. It draws in humid air, condenses it, and drips it into a collection bucket. I guess you could rig it up to be drawing from a duct into the unit but this would greatly reduce the efficiency of the machine imo.

Premium Member
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by squeegeethree View Post
    The dehumidifier needs to be physically in the space it is dehumidifying. It draws in humid air, condenses it, and drips it into a collection bucket. I guess you could rig it up to be drawing from a duct into the unit but this would greatly reduce the efficiency of the machine imo.
    That's what I've been thinking. Will the system work best if the cabinet is fully sealed, or does it need any venting?

Comments

It doesn't have to be air-tight and likewise it doesn't need an air intake. You just dont want any major light leaks. Ours in an old spare bathroom. So, there's an old exhaust vent in there and a minor light leak underneath the door but neither of these seem to matter.

Premium Member
    Comments

Sweet, thanks for the help.