Gig Posters

Posters: 154331 | Bands: 134495 | Designers: 11429                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Premium Member

Comments

Default Damn, what's causing these holes in my emulsion!?!?

I've been getting these for a bit and it's such a pain to have to block them or tape them up. They're bigger than pinholes, sometimes they're there, sometimes they're not. The holes are not on the dried emulsion, they only show up after washout. If anyone has an idea, I'd love to hear it. Here are things I do that do NOT help:

-Make sure emulsion hasn't gone bad
    -Degrease screens
    -Let emulsion warm to room temp before coating
    -Multiple coats of emulsion
    -Make sure emulsion isn't full of air bubbles
    -Get a good exposure
    -and more stuff

Comments

Are you using oiled paper for positives?

Premium Member

Comments

No, film under heavy glass with two halogen work lights.

Comments

Those look like water marks. If you are storing your screens near a water source sometimes they get splashed with water and those dots form. This happened with out power washer but it was more misty. Also if your screen are wet before coating this happens. They need to be 200% dry. Also are you storing your screens in a room that has air movement? Humidity can play a factor. Look at your screen before you expose it to see if you can make out any dots. Make sure your glass is clean. Make sure that you goop scoop has no water in it. Also what type of film are you using for your exposure. Sometimes vellum can have tiny dark parts on the film. I would inspect the film the screens that it happens on. Also do a retest with the film but most likely this is not it. Does it happen on the same screen? If so get the screen re-stretched. Hope this is helpful. Its the little things that make all the difference.

Premium Member

Comments

Yes! I think that's it! I dry my screens outside after reclaiming and sometimes I'll catch them just as it's starting to rain. We've had a particularly rainy summer in Atlanta, so that's probably why this is happening more frequently. That would also explain why the holes are usually ovals, since the screens are typically drying vertically. Thanks Underpressure!

Premium Member
    Comments

looks like you need to degrease better.

Comments

degreasing is a waste of time and money. Do all cleaning and reclaiming right and theres no need for degreasing.

Premium Member

Comments

It was totally rain drops causing the problem. Maybe it's just dirty city rain, but if you dry screens outside and it starts to sprinkle as you're bringing them, wash them again before putting on emulsion. That shit was driving me crazy. I reclaimed all those screens and did everything the same as I've always done and the holes were gone.

Premium Member
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by squeegeethree View Post
    degreasing is a waste of time and money. Do all cleaning and reclaiming right and theres no need for degreasing.
    If It works for you, by all means keep on keeping on. We go thru about 80 screens a day. Every single one gets degreased.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by lmlwsp View Post
    If It works for you, by all means keep on keeping on. We go thru about 80 screens a day. Every single one gets degreased.
    For plastisol I imagine. Waterbased it's not really needed